Is there any other gps recivers.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabiker

that will work with the home patrol that would be a little cheaper then the uniden one ? like the (..GARMIN GPS18X PC GPS Navigator Unit COMPUTER CONNECTOR 010-00321-34 NOB..) and will this unit work with the home patrol ?

dabiker

I am suprized

that will work with the home patrol that would be a little cheaper then the uniden one ? Like the (..garmin gps18x pc gps navigator unit computer connector 010-00321-34 nob..) and will this unit work with the home patrol ?
that no one can tell me if this reciever will work with the homepatrol

dkf435

2 GPS units to keep an eye out for is either the Radio Shack Digitraveler or the yellow Delorme Tripmate. While both of these GPSs are older, their resolution is fine for GPS enabled scanning.

The Digitraveler came in two versions, both being the same unit but different cables kits. One cable kit was a DB9 the other came with 3 cables for different PDAs. If you get the PDA kit you just cut off one of the PDA cables and solder on a DB9.

The Delomre Tripmate units I usually pick up in the $10-$20 range and are neat because they have a 4aa battery power supply in the base. They are popular in the APRS circles because they are cheap and plentiful. You need to do what is called the "selfstart" mod to them and can be found several places online. The mod consists of cutting and jumpering some wires so that the GPS starts searching for satellites as soon as power is supplied.

As far as cable connections I have actually found a compact DB9 male to male null modem adapter so instead of having a null modem and gender changer stacked .

9-Pin DB9 M-M Null Modem Adapter ~STSI (837654168462) | eBay

David Kb7uns

dabiker

It would be nice if uniden would come out with software for the tablets that are out they need to catch up with the times man. it would be nice to hook my scanners to my ipad2 and not have to carry my laptop with me every where too.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Tablet use would be nice... esp for remote control / remote viewing purposes.

Why not also ask Apple to support the HomePatrol windows software? The homepatrol is USB compatible..

And hopefully the next HomePatrol comes with a GPS built in, then there wouldnt be a need for a lot of extra cables.

It would be nice if uniden would come out with software for the tablets that are out they need to catch up with the times man. it would be nice to hook my scanners to my ipad2 and not have to carry my laptop with me every where too.

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
that no one can tell me if this reciever will work with the homepatrol

It works great with all of my Uniden digital scanners including the HP-1x. This is a winner for me and takes no time at all to acquire a signal and begin transmitting data to the scanner.

dkf435

The adapter goes between the cable coming from the GPS unit and the Uniden cable going to the HIROSE connector on the radio. How is an extra 10 feet going to make things simpler?

David Kb7uns

ak4fn

I guess you didn't see the "Last edited by ak4fn; Yesterday at 11:47 PM.. Reason: opps didn't see that the cable in the gps was molded in!"

woodpecker

If you have an Android phone with a GPS built in you can use that as a bluetooth GPS with a little app that costs $1.50, you need a bluetooth receiver hooked onto on the HP-1 serial port though, I use a Roving Networks RN-270 which is powered internally with 2 AAA batterys. It hooks up to the serial port via the uniden serial cable and a null modem adapter. It makes a great wireless GPS solution if you already have an Android phone.

You could even embed a module inside the HP-1, in my 396XT I have embedded a bluetooth module inside the radio case, I can use it for remote control of the 396 with my own Android App via bluetooth.

Its a shame the manufacturers don't add this kind of stuff.

Why not also ask Apple to support the HomePatrol windows software? The homepatrol is USB compatible...

Ask Apple? This isn't an Apple product. Apple has given us a computer and an OS (OS X) that is fully USB compliant. It's up to Uniden to make the software, or a third party company. By that logic, Microsoft should be writing the software to make everything work on Windows.

woodpecker

Ask Apple? This isn't an Apple product. Apple has given us a computer and an OS (OS X) that is fully USB compliant. It's up to Uniden to make the software, or a third party company. By that logic, Microsoft should be writing the software to make everything work on Windows.

Apple devices like the iphone and ipad are so locked down unless you jailbreak them I wouldn't bother trying to use them for radio control etc, as an example you can't use the bluetooth serial port profile unless your device has a special chip in it for which Apple wants a load of $$$, Android is a much better alternative.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Uniden has given us a scanner and a USB compliant product.

By your logic CD/DVD manufacturers should be making all the software to copy/pirate the CD/DVD's as well. Heck its their CD/DVD!! We demand you give us the software to copy/pirate them!!!

Im sure microsoft did wish everything worked on windows.

dkf435

Picked up another Radio Shack Digitraveler today at the recycle store today for $5. Also picked up a old Garmin GPSIII for $15, bothe NEMA0183 compliant. The units are out there just look around garage sales and thrift stores. Many adapter cables on Ebay also.

David Kb7uns

dabiker

i got this ..GARMIN GPS18X PC GPS Navigator Unit on ebay for 18.95 shipping included so i couldn't go wrong there. now i am going to go out and test the homepatrol today and see if it was a waste of cash or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.