• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is there any risk using a UHF antenna on a VHF radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker7

So this is more of a 2 part question part on does Motorola make a 5.5" whip antenna (the one with the little ball on the end) in VHF? cause I got one with a VHF radio I purchased and if it is a UHF antenna is it safe to use on a VHF radio until i get another VHF antenna? I can accept that it posses weaker signals if it is a UHF antenna.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What radio is this for, and what is the -exact- length of the antenna?

The red connector on it's own doesn't necessarily tell you if it's UHF, VHF or 800MHz. Depending on the model of antenna/radio/etc. the color often just means what portion of the band its designed for.

beaker7

What radio is this for, and what is the -exact- length of the antenna?

The red connector on it's own doesn't necessarily tell you if it's UHF, VHF or 800MHz. Depending on the model of antenna/radio/etc. the color often just means what portion of the band its designed for.
Exact from metal bottom to rubber top 5and 1/2 inches. Unknown what radio but I got it when I bought a used HT1000.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
As far as using it goes, you can use it for receiving. It's just not going to pick up as well. As for transmitting, I wouldn't recommend it since being for the wrong band your swr is going to be way off.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Are you going to be receiving only or do you plan to transmit with this antenna?

If you're receiving then there's no worry. But if you transmit and the antenna isn't resonant at the frequency you're using, you'll be looking at a high SWR which might damage the radio.

I say 'might' because handhelds are generally pretty forgiving at higher SWR. But I wouldn't use a non resonant antenna myself. Even if the radio's finals can handle it, you'll be facing seriously degraded performance.

beaker7

Are you going to be receiving only or do you plan to transmit with this antenna?

If you're receiving then there's no worry. But if you transmit and the antenna isn't resonant at the frequency you're using, you'll be looking at a high SWR which might damage the radio.

I say 'might' because handhelds are generally pretty forgiving at higher SWR. But I wouldn't use a non resonant antenna myself. Even if the radio's finals can handle it, you'll be facing seriously degraded performance.

OK super confused now is this a VHF or not??? Motorola OEM VHF-Whip? - Batboard

http://www.hkra.org/radio/cn_ant.gif picture with article

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Can confirm, the 5.5" antenna with red band is UHF…just checked the one on my XTS3000.

Note: Mine actually says "Motorola UHF" on it.

Delta33

So this is more of a 2 part question part on does Motorola make a 5.5" whip antenna (the one with the little ball on the end) in VHF? cause I got one with a VHF radio I purchased and if it is a UHF antenna is it safe to use on a VHF radio until i get another VHF antenna? I can accept that it posses weaker signals if it is a UHF antenna.
. IF you're going to be transmitting then Hopefully you're Licensed, or the antenna won't be the issue ! Otherwise, Yes you Can damage your radio only if transmitting with the Wrong wavelength whip.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm just going to toss this out there and you do what you want with it:

Short of having someone with an antenna analyzer, and if you want to transmit or want decent RX performance, get a new antenna.

I agree with W5PKY, it's likely UHF. Motorola seems to vary on putting the writing on the antenna that tells you what band it is. As you've noticed the color on the connector won't necessarily tell you what band it is.

Replacement antennas are relatively inexpensive, and you'll know what you have.
Beware, though. Do not buy the cheap Chinese look alike antennas off e-Bay. Reports from others indicates they are rarely resonate where they claim they are. A -real- Motorola antenna will cost more, but will work better.
Motorola also makes a few different VHF model antennas, some with higher gain. If you are going to use this radio on a specific slice of the band, you can order the correct one and you'll probably see slightly better performance.

beaker7

I'm just going to toss this out there and you do what you want with it:

Short of having someone with an antenna analyzer, and if you want to transmit or want decent RX performance, get a new antenna.

I agree with W5PKY, it's likely UHF. Motorola seems to vary on putting the writing on the antenna that tells you what band it is. As you've noticed the color on the connector won't necessarily tell you what band it is.

Replacement antennas are relatively inexpensive, and you'll know what you have.
Beware, though. Do not buy the cheap Chinese look alike antennas off e-Bay. Reports from others indicates they are rarely resonate where they claim they are. A -real- Motorola antenna will cost more, but will work better.
Motorola also makes a few different VHF model antennas, some with higher gain. If you are going to use this radio on a specific slice of the band, you can order the correct one and you'll probably see slightly better performance.

OK, any site you recommend for ordering Motorola VHF antennas? Also off topic but why is a mag mount so bad?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, any site you recommend for ordering Motorola VHF antennas?

Jedi Antennas - ShopWiscomm

Wiscomm is a good resource for all things Motorola. Decent prices and a reliable dealer. I've purchased from him before with good results.

Also off topic but why is a mag mount so bad?

If a mobile antenna is needed, then do it right. Magnetic mounts are good for rental cars, temporary testing, etc. Performance, professional look, and reliability are the benefits of a properly installed antenna. Mag mounts are good for damaging paint, getting coax pinched in the door/window, looking amateurish, etc.

My own personal opinion is that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

N4KVE

I used a mag mount antenna for years because I was too lazy to do it right. Now I did it properly by drilling a hole in my trunk lid. It does work better for sure. But the mag mount worked 80% as well. So if you really want that extra range, drill the hole. Oh, that HT antenna is UHF.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Motorola has made so many antenna models over the years, it has become impossible to be sure what model is what. I am buying "VHF" Saber antennas for my UHF radios from an ebay seller who is confused as to what he has. Fortunately they are OEM packaged with correct part number. Years ago Motorola had substituted a new antenna for the original K08. I noticed a reduction in coverage at 462 MHz. NPD put me on the phone with the vendor who insisted they tuned them properly, and per Motorola 12M specs to "408 MHz". This did not give me a warm and fuzzy for this supposed 440 to 470 MHz antenna.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I used a mag mount antenna for years because I was too lazy to do it right. Now I did it properly by drilling a hole in my trunk lid. It does work better for sure. But the mag mount worked 80% as well. So if you really want that extra range, drill the hole. Oh, that HT antenna is UHF.
I was talking to an installer at an MSS years ago who told me that anytime I needed an antenna installed he would do it for free because "he loved drilling holes into brand new cars".

KM4WLV

I didn't see a comment referencing this but if you zoom in on the antennas pic you can see where ya labeled UHF. It's hard to see without zooming but when you do you can make out the U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

beaker7

I didn't see a comment referencing this but if you zoom in on the antennas pic you can see where ya labeled UHF. It's hard to see without zooming but when you do you can make out the U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not sure what picture you mean but it ya mean the one that says China make uhf I didn't make that picture.
OK super confused now is this a VHF or not??? Motorola OEM VHF-Whip? - Batboard

http://www.hkra.org/radio/cn_ant.gif picture with article

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The cheap chinese ones on ebay are junk Motorola knock offs marketed as VHF or UHF Though they do not look any different

Status
Not open for further replies.