Is there any uniden scanner that does P25IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbertopp

Is there any uniden scanner that does P25IP.

I know that some already have the ability to handle P25 but what about P25IP. And can these systems be monitored.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The IP in P25IP refers to using packet-switch IP infrastructure to move data between components in the system. Otherwise, they use the P25 CAI and P25 Trunking protocols, so any nonencrypted comms should be able to be monitored by any current digital scanner.

If you ask about a specific system rather than a generic system type, you could likely get a specific answer.

D

DaveNF2G

The shorter answer would be: P25IP has nothing to do with your scanner.

qbertopp

The IP in P25IP refers to using packet-switch IP infrastructure to move data between components in the system. Otherwise, they use the P25 CAI and P25 Trunking protocols, so any nonencrypted comms should be able to be monitored by any current digital scanner.

If you ask about a specific system rather than a generic system type, you could likely get a specific answer.

Thanks - I asked because I just found out that one of the agencies in Florida will be going to this new system and was hoping that if they stay non-ency I will still be able to monitor them.

See article below.

Harris Corporation Receives Orders Totaling Approximately $100 Million for Miami-Dade County Public Safety Communications... -- MIAMI and BOSTON, March 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That article mentions they will be using end-to-end encryption. Anything encrypted is not going to be monitorable.

qbertopp

That article mentions they will be using end-to-end encryption. Anything encrypted is not going to be monitorable.

When a system is like this one is setup, can they have ency and non-ency channels. Or is it a all or nothing scenario that if they switch on the ency feature all the talk groups will be encrypted.

Basically do they have the choice to decide what they want to encrypt and what not to encrypt.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
There might still be hope because I've seen many other new system announcements that mention the same line "secure, end-to-end encryption" but most of the time that refers to the infrastructure in general like microwave links, data lines/T1, internet access where used, etc.

And yes, they can have a mix of Clear and Encrypted comms. Many times they even do it on a radio by radio basis or by channel or a combination of both. I suspect that will be the case since even the article mentions they'll still be "interoperable" with Fire in their UHF frequencies.....

DesertRatt

Premium Subscriber
N

N_Jay

I assume that by P15IP you mean Harris/Tyco "P25 to the power of IP", written as "P25^IP" or "P25 (superscript) IP".

If so, it is just the Harris/Tyco brand name much like Motorola's "ASTRO25", EFJ's "IP25", and EADS's "CORE25".

Any P25 scanner should work fine.

Brand names are rarely firm technical definitions.

qbertopp

Many encrypted systems use a setup where dispatch is in the clear, but the units are encrypted. That is way my police, fire, and sheriff operate. The Uniden mute/mask feature makes monitoring this system bearable. I had a PSR-500 and the encryption noise was very annoying.

Western Arizona Regional Interoperability Communications System, (WARICS) Trunking System, Yuma, Arizona - Scanner Frequencies

So if I am reading this correctly, with that system you would only hear one side of the conversation?

Status
Not open for further replies.