Is there anything to listen to anymore in southern Sask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotaxxx

Well while cleaning out my closet I found my old Uniden Beartracker BC250D digital scanner. I haven't used it in forever and it shows. I turned it on and its been on for 2 days now running and I have yet to hear anything on it. I know the RCMP have moved on from the Fleetnet system and I would regularly hear from them on it.

But I also had a few of the trucking companies programmed in it and yet I got nothing. I am thinking about giving up with it and moving on. Is there anything any more to listen to? Thanks all

BC_Scan

You will have to expand your listening horizons, no more Police, but there is still stuff to hear on the provincial system. However, you will require a new scanner. That unit which I still use is analog, unless you had a card that gave it P25 but only P1, which I believe Sask system is.
If it were me I would put in everything analog, Air, Rail, Trucking and Fire that may still be analog with Muni, rental, etc, boring yeah, but the new reality for 99% of Canada.

Read this and look at anybody with a D you could listen to with a new scanner, a D/E is digital /ENCRYPTED so nothing to hear, and if you have external discone up high you increase what you could hear where you are.

Happy scanning , welcome to new reality.

Rotaxxx

Thanks for the reply, I do have a the P25 digital card for it. Also, it doesn't help that I am pretty new to all this stuff, so figuring it out is a challenge in itself....

BC_Scan

Start with finding the control channel for you area. I would put search in from 138 MHz to 140 MHz. Look for scanner to stop on a freq and listen for the harsh sounding (machine gun like sound of the control channel) note it down and search for any others (if you are in Regina there is 800 MHz) tower, but everywhere else 138-140 MHz.

Then look at list and see which tower represents your neighborhood. You must than program it in a bank (eg: last one and put them in trunk mode) . You might require your manual or programming software. or can be done manually.

PM me if you require further assistance.

I had a 250 back in the good old FleetNet800 era. It was a great radio that I gave away when the PPSTN came on line. I never sprung for the digital card because it was just too expensive and there was no need for it back then.

My memory is not as good today as it was back then but here goes. I maybe wrong about this and I am sure that someone here will correct me if I'm wrong. I do not think that the BC250D is capable of doing P25 Explicit Messaging used by the VHF PPSTN.

I think that it maybe capable of Implicit Messaging only. You may just have a great looking radio that is incapable of monitoring today's P25 radio networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.