Is there anything worth listening to on 49 MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlava

Hi guys, sorry if this isn't in the right forum, but I did a search on 49 MHz and didn't come up with anything specific, so I hope this is in the right spot to ask my question.

I've got a little holiday money to spend on an electronics kit (I love kit building) and I'm trying to decide which one to get... I've built aircraft receivers, shortwave receivers, police/fire/EMS receivers and am looking for something a little different.

Vectronics has a 49 MHz receiver kit, but I'm not sure what's on that band other than remote control devices and perhaps garage door openers and baby monitors. I am not interested in hearing any of that stuff, so I'm wondering if there is there anything worth listening to in that band? Thanks!

W2NJS

I don't believe there's anything worth listening to on 49 mHz. Years ago it was used by the first cordless home telephones but they've all gone to 900 mHz or higher (I have one that works at 5800 mHz).

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Well there are low power kids walkie talkies,toy grade RC's.But who knows what else is out there.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
49.900Mhz CFB Borden Range Control.

Located near Angus, Ontario.

Might be listenable during times os skip.

ecps92

Here in Massachusetts we still have Military on the low-band, especially 49 Mhz. Atleast 5 Rptrs, Linked to a VHF Repeater for statewide coverage. VT as well.

Low Band is pretty much a forgotten band for those out there searching...
except for the die-hard DX'rs

I don't believe there's anything worth listening to on 49 mHz. Years ago it was used by the first cordless home telephones but they've all gone to 900 mHz or higher (I have one that works at 5800 mHz).

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Some one somewhere near my place has a baby monitor that broadcasts at 49.850. It is always on, apparently, even when no one is home. I check it from time to time to hear some baby babble not having had kids of my own.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Some one somewhere near my place has a baby monitor that broadcasts at 49.850. It is always on, apparently, even when no one is home. I check it from time to time to hear some baby babble not having had kids of my own.

They used to sell lamps with a built-in baby monitor. After the receiver went out people continued to use the lamps not realizing that everything in the room was still being broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.