• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is there anywhere I could buy one Kenwood TK-8180-K2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8HMJ

well on ebay right now theres a seller with more than 10 for sale but he has them listed as a tk8180 k. probably not the same thing

n7dmr

well on ebay right now theres a seller with more than 10 for sale but he has them listed as a tk8180 k. probably not the same thing
Yep. The K version covers 450-510. The K2 is the version that covers 400-450 ham band. I bought one before on ebay on K2. But now the K2 version seem all sold out. I want to check if anywhere else has it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They were only discontinued by Kenwood in late 2019. You could try calling around to some dealers and see if they have a few hiding in stock.

But, yeah, used market is hit or miss.

The K2 will do 400-470, so if you just need amateur and/or GMRS, those will work fine. The K's are 450-520.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
the k will program 440-450 with no issue. I use for public safety and need 490 channels but have 440 ham in also and use a quarter wave antenna.

n7dmr

the k will program 440-450 with no issue. I use for public safety and need 490 channels but have 440 ham in also and use a quarter wave antenna.
If the K version could go down to 440-450, that would work for me

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I'd suggest the K2. I've had issues with some 8180Ks not going below 443 without unlocking, depending on the temperature.

n7dmr

I got a K version to listen on 445.3. It does work, but the performance is very bad. Transmit is just OK and seemingly less bad but still poor performance..

n7dmr

I'd suggest the K2. I've had issues with some 8180Ks not going below 443 without unlocking, depending on the temperature.
If I could find a used K2, that would be ideal. I got a K version and it's out of band performance is poor.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Just set a Saved Search on eBay. They WILL come up, just takes some patience. The H-K2s are the hens teeth. Only ever saw one, wish I never sold it.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Sometimes Kenwood would run out of K's while waiting for the boat to dock. We would order K2's instead if they were applicable. They are out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.