Is there nothing in Sarasota County? (New to this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-AP-

Yes, totally new to this. I have an SDS100 and live on the border of Sarasota. I do not get any feedback after loading the county into Sentinel. For the town I resdide in, I get good activity. (I Think at least) Any suggestions?

DomW

Have you been to Sarasota County Trunking System, Sarasota County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies which has Sarasota trunking system. I don't know what your situation is. Being a newbie, did you buy the scanner pre-programmened? Do you see the system on the scanner, if it is a Favorites List, did it get uploaded to the scanner by Sentinel (this one has got me a few times.). It could be anything, like your location and its coverage circle being too small. Read this page for help with Sentinel. BCDX36HP Sentinel Software Manual
And welcome to the world of scanner listening.

-AP-

Have you been to Sarasota County Trunking System, Sarasota County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies which has Sarasota trunking system. I don't know what your situation is. Being a newbie, did you buy the scanner pre-programmened? Do you see the system on the scanner, if it is a Favorites List, did it get uploaded to the scanner by Sentinel (this one has got me a few times.). It could be anything, like your location and its coverage circle being too small. Read this page for help with Sentinel. BCDX36HP Sentinel Software Manual
And welcome to the world of scanner listening.

Thanks so much. I'm concerned with all the talk about scanners being obsolete. I would hate to have spent this kind of money on a paperweight. I'm torn with sending it back to amazon or just overcoming all the fears and talk out there on this forum/site.

Anyway, I can hear my local town FD, utilities and other channels, however on a separate FL I have Sarasota. I can hear on broadcastify there is activity, I just don't pick anything up.. Nothin, nada..

wtp

just checked here.
i can get north port, englewood, high hat, and osprey.
but i am not getting , and usually don't venice, sarasota.

wtp

i just received 26800 sheriff north after doing the "rabbit ears" dance on the side of the house.
have you had any luck at all.

-AP-

Thanks, getting a hit here and there. I ordered another antenna to see if that helps. Being new to this, I don't really know what things should be such as the "range" of the unit, or any true expectations of what I should be receiving. I get a fair amount of activity in my area, So I'll assume it's good. There is some vehicle dispatch system where people pick up and drop-off people. I have no idea who they are or what they do.

Quick question, I'm 9 miles from SRQ and have those frequencies as a favorite list. I don't get anything much there either. Does that sound right for being that far away?

Thanks so much.

wtp

the range is not in the unit, the range you get is dependant on where the tower is, a bit about your antenna, and a bunch of little things.
take a trip down 41 into sarasota and you will get the idea of where the signal comes up and actually if you hear anything then you have it set up right. to get northport at night in bed i have to have the radio just above my knees.
the antenna i have was a radio shack 800.
so, that is it. but sales talk about gain, just forget it.
i like the antenna for the fact it "gives" when i hit it on something.
then i like it for reception.
i can hear the space station packet on 145.825 when they are around.
but i won't say it can receive for 250 miles. a salesman might.
i see you can get/give personal messages now. so look up at the top of the page.

jack3726

Have you tried Manatee County to listen to on that SDS-100. Both counties will eventually be switching to P25. Have you attempted to hear anything on the new P25 for both counties.

-AP-

Thanks all. This is how I have my FL's setup and the results. I will say, I got a new antenna, and it seems like it picks up much more..

P1.jpgP2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.