Is there such software

Status
Not open for further replies.

zl2taw

Is there such software that you can identify data modes on HF with ?
I mean something like you feed an audio stream & it will analyze the data & give a percentage rating of what it might be

ie feed a rtty signal in and it would give the baud rate, shift & type

I know my old PK-232 did this in a limited fashion very many years ago

I know the basic modes, but some of the newer ones have me beat & I really don't have a clue to what they might be.

thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The Universal M6000 and M7000 terminal units also had this ability.

The problem is that any noise or propagation disturbance would defeat accurate analysis of the signal. What many now do is use software to view the waveform of the signal, and compare it against a list of known and identified waveforms. They also use software to analyze the technical characteristics of the signal.

While I'm unsure about what software would be able to do the technical analysis, there are several sites that have identified waveforms. These 2 stickies have some information on both...

http://forums.radioreference.com/digital-signals-decoding/196111-multipsk-users-identify-modes.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/di...g/218718-technical-specs-digital-signals.html

HTH....Mike

Token

Is there such software that you can identify data modes on HF with ?
I mean something like you feed an audio stream & it will analyze the data & give a percentage rating of what it might be

ie feed a rtty signal in and it would give the baud rate, shift & type

Yes, both Krypto500 and Hoka Code300 will do this for many, many modes. Including a percentage of certainty of mode and a descending list of signal probability.

But, it is a pretty small segment of hobbyist who are willing to pay the price of these software packages.

T!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, there's an old Dutch saying - if you need to ask the price, you can't afford it...I wouldn't look at the price if you have a bad heart, hi

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Sorcerer *may* have an analysis module, too - but it's free (but watch out for a reported benign Trojan in the software...)

The links for all 3 packages can be found at the bottom of

Utility Monitoring Central

Mike

SCPD

QRT
Sorcerer *may* have an analysis module, too - but it's free (but watch out for a reported benign Trojan in the software...)

Nah it doesn't.

From experience, it just takes time in learning how to hear the differences in the digital modes. I've been listening for 15+ years and I'm just becoming 'adept' at picking out the subtle differences.

It's more of an art then anything else. :)

As others pointed out, there are several software packages but they are usually very expensive. These are actual "decoding" applications with built-in analysis modes. This still doesn't mean the data won't be encrypted.

MultiPSK has a limited analysis mode but it does seem to be accurate.

There's a Russian software package that is very advanced and technical -- definitely not for the faint of heart -- but the cost is at least reasonable. I don't own it but I've asked and it's considered one of the best.

Signals Analyzer`s (SA) description in English

NOTE: This will NOT decrypt or decode anything. It's just analysis software -- and my understanding is that it's not in real-time. You need to have a recorded (high quality) sample, etc.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah after a while you can tell the difference between baud rates, and some of the modes are obvious because they sound different - like ALE or MFSK. To a certain extent you can train your ear for it, but there are others where a little help is needed...Mike

zl2taw

thanks guys for all your replies
I have Sorcerer and couldn't find the analyzer, guess thats why cause it doesn't have one.

It was worth asking the question IMO

cheers guys

Status
Not open for further replies.