is this a good antenna for 770Mhz to 900Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hera

HI there, new to this (and very much enjoying it so far).

Would this work with my BCD436hp? I would be mounting it about 30' up (on my roof...off of one of the vents). I need something that is omnidirectional. And i've learned that i can run a discone or something on a diplexer down the road if i want to pick up lower frequencies at home.

On the road i have a 33" Huslter antenna that seems to be tuned for 3 different ranges and does a decent job.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Panel mount antennas are far inferior to what's out there and available. I would lean towards a discone, or multi-band vertical antenna, or ground plane. I don't think you would be happy with the performance of a panel-mounted antenna when there are so many other varieties you can obtain from Amazon, The Antenna Farm, or several other vendors.

Here are a few examples:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Hera- you wrote that you need an omnidirectional antenna. Panel antennas such as the one you linked to are NOT omnidirectional.

Hera

i picked up a Diamond130J...right now it's sitting in my kitchen not picking up much of anything... i'll see how it goes once it's up in the next day or two.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A panel antenna is usually designed to provide a sector like pattern, in other words, the coverage pattern is where the antenna face is pointed. It's not omni directional.

And Wilson….
Wilson tends to take cheap Chinese products, stick their name on it, and then jack the price up. My experience with Wilson antennas is that they are junk and would still be a poor investment if you got it for free, as in it would be a liability by simply having to put labor into installing it.

If your plans are to eventually install a discone, then skip this and just invest in a good discone (Diamond D130NJ is pretty good as hobby antennas go) and use the best coaxial cable you can afford.
While discone antennas are not the best solution for everything, for the casual scanner listener, they can be a decent choice. Install it up as high as you safely can. Feed it with good coaxial cable, and waterproof all the outdoor connections properly.

N8LHG

I've used several different flavors of "scanner antenna" over the last 40 years or so. My favorite by far is a discone.

merlin

My discone does very nicely at 770 Mhz and down to 100 Mhz rolls off a bit above 900 Mhz.
You will find the panels directional. you would have better scanner performance with a 700 Mhz 'salt shaker' above the roof.

N8LHG

My discone does very nicely at 770 Mhz and down to 100 Mhz rolls off a bit above 900 Mhz.
You will find the panels directional. you would have better scanner performance with a 700 Mhz 'salt shaker' above the roof.

Hi merlin,

I agree they are not perfect, but you can't beat them for a wide band antenna. As a licensed ham, I also use them for transmitting as well. While another antenna type may have more gain, nothing beats them.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
One of the best antennas I ever used for Michigan's MPSCS simulcast system was the
TerraWave - 698-896/1700-2700 MHz 3/3.5 dBi Outdoor Omni

1629208093219.png

They turn up on Ebay on occasion for as little as $15.00/ea brand new!

Status
Not open for further replies.