Is this all i will need ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyd1018

Hello, im new somewhat to scanning, getting started again after a long leave from communications and wanted to get yalls opinion on the setup im getting !

Scanner: Uniden BCD996xt
Antenna: Austin "Ferret"
Coax: LMR 400 or 600
Preamp: Jim M75
Software : ARCXT PRO
(want the best safotware if this is not it then give me input)

I am going to Have a feed from my area as well so everyone around the country can listen in, i will have the antenna at 60 feet on a tower(im already 300 feet above sea level)! My question is, is this all i will ever need to get Top shelf? Please any input will be very helpful!! 73's

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hello, im new somewhat to scanning, getting started again after a long leave from communications and wanted to get yalls opinion on the setup im getting !

Scanner: Uniden BCD996xt
Antenna: Austin "Ferret"
Coax: LMR 400 or 600
Preamp: Jim M75
Software : ARCXT PRO
(want the best safotware if this is not it then give me input)

I am going to Have a feed from my area as well so everyone around the country can listen in, i will have the antenna at 60 feet on a tower(im already 300 feet above sea level)! My question is, is this all i will ever need to get Top shelf? Please any input will be very helpful!! 73's

You didn't say anything about what you will be listening to, so it's hard to say anything about the antenna - however, you can almost certainly lose the preamp. They can cause more problems than they solve, unless you're out in the hills somewhere.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a Diamond or Icom discone, Scantenna or perhaps one of the DPD models. You might want to examine them on the basis of how they stand up to the weather; at 60 foot, you won't want to be climbing that tower a lot. The ScanTenna can be modified for better weather resistance (that diagram is in our wiki, if you decide to go that way). The diagram can be found here (note all links in blue). Go look at some reviews on eHam, for example. Others can chime in here on that subject.

As for the software, since you want to broadcast a feed, ARC XT won't do that, but ProScan will. We also have the directions for how to set that up in our Live Audio wiki. In the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, float your mouse over Wiki then select Live Audio from the pulldown. We have specific forums for streaming questions; please be sure to reserve such questions for them. They too are linked on the Live Audio wiki 73 Mike

bobbyd1018

Yes, i was also looking at the proscan as well! Im guessing i will be listening to alot of trunk, police and 2 meter radio, i will also look into those antennas! Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.