Is this Amateur / Ham Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

Paul, I checked out your website. When you say "Ultralight DXing" are you listening aboard an ultralight aircraft? Or is it travelling with an ultralight receiver and setting up somewhere high up or out of the way? BTW, been down that road once or twice myself. The things you do and the friends you have will get you through just about anything. Hope you get your ticket back. I can use a contact with Tasmania! :wink:

Thanks for the reply. It is the second one, travelling with an ultralight receiver to high / out of the way places.

I really appreciate the comments on my blog, it is a road I would not wish on my worst enemy but I am getting on with life and feeling much better, I must go and post and update to that page.

As for my amateur licence, it is on the cards for one day, maybe later this year :)

Thanks for the reply. It is the second one, travelling with an ultralight receiver to high / out of the way places.

I really appreciate the comments on my blog, it is a road I would not wish on my worst enemy but I am getting on with life and feeling much better, I must go and post and update to that page.

As for my amateur licence, it is on the cards for one day, maybe later this year :)
You know, I hung out with some guys in New Jersey who did that. They traveled heavy, though. Each June we would get a permit to camp on a mountaintop somewhere in the Northeastern US. One fellow would bring his camper which had a tower and antennas on the outside, and a station set up in the back. Another would bring tents and a field kitchen. I would bring some yagis and Heliax cable. Everybody brought something. We would work the June VHF contest and try to rack up points. But I usually didn't get on the mic or key much. I would set up, break down, and fix stuff that broke. And, generally help out with stuff. And, at the time, I had a Sangean receiver I would take around with me doing about what you do. Sadly, I went on a trip to the Middle East and it stopped working there. Guess the plane ride shook something loose.

I was a member of a volunteer fire brigade whose mascot was the cartoon Tasmanian Devil. Years ago, there was a guy who would walk past the firehouse for about a week. We thought he was a bum, but I struck up a conversation nonetheless (I was a paramedic in a major city and that didn't bother me... many of us are about one bad decision away from being in that boat, ourselves. I know I am.). He talked funny! Turns out he was Australian. From Alice Springs, doing his walkabout across the US in a broken down van. Anyway, he saw our Tasmanian Devil painting and gave me a tie tack in the shape of Tasmania. We ended up getting him fed and cleaned up, taking him to see the Statue of Liberty and pretty much all around to the touristy places. Never saw him again and lost his address, but I still have that Tasmania tie tack.

pb_lonny

Thanks for the replies. I am going to continue to forge my own way and find my own area of expertise in the radio hobby, is this "nicely" fits within another sub group then so be it.

Some reports on my latest portable ultralight dxing sessions:
Ultralight DXing: Ultralight DXing Report - Mt Barrow - 08/03/2014

Ultralight DXing: Ultralight DXing Report - Gees Lookout - 09/03/2014

Ultralight DXing: Ultralight DXing Report - Round Hill, Burnie / Mersey Bluff, Devonport

Ultralight DXing: Ultralight DXing Report - Launceston Tasmania - 18/03/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.