Editing Is this data no longer valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The following pages show up in our orphans list, but have data on them. I would assume the user wants them dropped, but it's safer to ask

As a gentle reminder, it is wiki policy that an orphan isn't deleted until it is completely empty, including having no category links. This policy protects newcomers who build an otherwise valid page but is unsure of how to link it to something.

Ye old wiki garbageman

cubn

Database Admin
The Will Co EDACS system was replaced by the county P25 system. I don't see any reason to keep those two wiki pages you mentioned unless we generally keep those for historical purposes.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
The following pages show up in our orphans list, but have data on them. I would assume the user wants them dropped, but it's safer to ask

As a gentle reminder, it is wiki policy that an orphan isn't deleted until it is completely empty, including having no category links. This policy protects newcomers who build an otherwise valid page but is unsure of how to link it to something.

Ye old wiki garbageman

- OK to kill the Northwest Cook, Southwest Cook and South Cook wiki pages you listed, as the valid content on those pages has been copied to their respective current wikis.

- Please DO NOT kill the Chicago and West Cook wiki pages you listed, as those are the active wikis that link to their respective current business database pages!

Thank you...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The Chicago and West Cook pages are not linked to anything; that's why they show up in the list.

I will empty out the others presently

Mike

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
The Chicago and West Cook pages are not linked to anything; that's why they show up in the list.

I will empty out the others presently

Mike
Unless I'm missing something, the URLs and contents for the Chicago and Chicago West links you posted are identical to the wiki buttons on each of those database pages.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
But that's not what the wiki recognizes as a link. A correctly linked page looks like this...

[[Businesses- Chicago Cook County (IL)]]

Notice that the title of the page is surrounded by 2 square brackets. That's immediately to the right of 'P' on the keyboard

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think there is a general misconception of how the wiki is structured and used. Many seem to think that it's an extension of the database; this is incorrect. The various buttons and links from the database to the wiki are something that the wiki is totally unaware. The two database apps - and yes, MediaWiki (the language that our wiki uses) is considered this - are functionally and logically separate from one another.

An orphan refers to an article within the wiki environment that has no links to another wiki article. It doesn't care about the links to / from the database, as the RRDB is a totally separate entity. While such an article might have a link from the database, it's irrelevant to Mediawiki. The same can be said for other web pages that link to various pages within our wiki.

I'll be honest here - last year Bob and I cleaned out hundreds of useless orphans in an attempt to clean out the mess that had developed over the last several years. I'd rather not go through that mess again.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
I think there is a general misconception of how the wiki is structured and used. Many seem to think that it's an extension of the database; this is incorrect. The various buttons and links from the database to the wiki are something that the wiki is totally unaware. The two database apps - and yes, MediaWiki (the language that our wiki uses) is considered this - are functionally and logically separate from one another.

An orphan refers to an article within the wiki environment that has no links to another wiki article. It doesn't care about the links to / from the database, as the RRDB is a totally separate entity. While such an article might have a link from the database, it's irrelevant to Mediawiki. The same can be said for other web pages that link to various pages within our wiki.

I'll be honest here - last year Bob and I cleaned out hundreds of useless orphans in an attempt to clean out the mess that had developed over the last several years. I'd rather not go through that mess again.
All I know is that, for the 'Cook County Businesses - Chicago' and 'Cook County Businesses - West' database pages, clicking on the wiki button on each of those pages lands one on the two respective wiki articles you were inquiring about. As unconfirmed information doesn't belong in the database itself, those are two of the wiki articles that I've quite actively been adding FCC license grant and modification data to for a number of years now. The data in those two wiki articles is not useless - it is as current and correct as it gets in relation to their associated database pages and a good deal of time and effort has been spent maintaining the information in them. The data in them is not inactive or out of date.

Whatever needs to be done in the wikiverse to keep the data in those articles available at the click of the wiki buttons on those two database pages would be most appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.