ProScan: Is This Normal? ProScan not Connecting after PC Reboot

shansmi

Premium Subscriber
A few times now I had to reboot my PC unrelated to scanners and ProScan. Upon recovery when I launch the first instance of ProScan it will not connect over the serial port to the scanner. They like all other peripherals remain plugged in over the reboots. It does not matter if I set the COM port to none and re-scan / refresh. PS report the port used by the scanners. To get things working again I have to unplug the cable and it will work after that just fine once I set the serial port and speed. This seems to set the port back to an Available state.

FYI all USB periphials are pluged into a powered USB3 hub. So all I really need to do is push a button twice to disconnect / re-connect a scanner.

Windows issue / anomoly or ProScan? I suspect Windows.

Now recently I did match up port speeds. In PS the default is 115200 so I set Windows the same in the Device Manager which default to good old 9600. No ill affect so far.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
A few times now I had to reboot my PC unrelated to scanners and ProScan. Upon recovery when I launch the first instance of ProScan it will not connect over the serial port to the scanner. They like all other peripherals remain plugged in over the reboots. It does not matter if I set the COM port to none and re-scan / refresh. PS report the port used by the scanners. To get things working again I have to unplug the cable and it will work after that just fine once I set the serial port and speed. This seems to set the port back to an Available state.

FYI all USB periphials are pluged into a powered USB3 hub. So all I really need to do is push a button twice to disconnect / re-connect a scanner.

Windows issue / anomoly or ProScan? I suspect Windows.

Now recently I did match up port speeds. In PS the default is 115200 so I set Windows the same in the Device Manager which default to good old 9600. No ill affect so far.
That's a problem between the driver and scanner. P2, HP, and SDS scanners are affected. The scanner stops responding to polls. If the computer reboots while the comm. port is opened then the scanner needs a power cycle after the computer reboots. If the scanner has a rear DB-9 port then it's recommended to use that along with a USB serial cable and a null modem adapter or use the Ethernet on Ethernet supported scanners.

{edit} I've heard of some using a IP controlled electrical switch to power cycle the scanner when that happens.

The Win Device Manager port settings such as baud rate, parity, stop bits are for legacy modems (using the AT command set) and will have no effect.

Last edited:

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad you ask this question because I've been dealing with the same thing myself and had not found a fix. I've just been to busy and too lazy to go at it again lately and see if there's something I can do. I wish all computers still came with the DB9 ports on the back :)

COMMSCAN
Brian

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm glad you ask this question because I've been dealing with the same thing myself and had not found a fix. I've just been to busy and too lazy to go at it again lately and see if there's something I can do. I wish all computers still came with the DB9 ports on the back :)

COMMSCAN
Brian
What type of scanner do you have?

shansmi

Premium Subscriber
I wish the SDS200 had a rear DB-9 connector like the other mobiles.

I am fine with the setup but am surprised the 100 has a mini port but the 200 has a micro port. them being the same would have been nice from a "having to have more cables" perspective. either way mine connect to a powered USB3 hub then over to a laptop. The cables stay plugged into the hub and scanners most of the time unless I leave home. Then the 100 travels. I only have to push buttons on the hub to cycle the "scanner to pc" connection. pretty nice.

shansmi

Premium Subscriber
Also after the boot the screen "profiles" must be re-pointed and loaded. I have custom screens on both scanners where I have added DEC as well as GPS info plus changed a few colors to make some things pop for me. In the options after recovery from the reboot once the scanner is talking to PS again, the foler containing the screen profile must be re-pointed to the correct directory and then of course loaded. Not a biggie just something that has to be done IF you want your custom screen on the scanner to appear in PS.

ndebaggis

Premium Subscriber
That's a problem between the driver and scanner. P2, HP, and SDS scanners are affected. The scanner stops responding to polls. If the computer reboots while the comm. port is opened then the scanner needs a power cycle after the computer reboots. If the scanner has a rear DB-9 port then it's recommended to use that along with a USB serial cable and a null modem adapter or use the Ethernet on Ethernet supported scanners.

{edit} I've heard of some using a IP controlled electrical switch to power cycle the scanner when that happens.

The Win Device Manager port settings such as baud rate, parity, stop bits are for legacy modems (using the AT command set) and will have no effect.

In the web interface there's a reboot button to reboot the scanner, is there a way to create a hook in the thick client to catch the Windows shutdown/restart event and automatically issue that same reboot command to the com port connected scanners? Not sure if that would solve the issue. I have a spare laptop set to auto-logon to a local user account and proscan is set in the startup folder to auto-launch. But that still doesn't allow for the USB com port to auto-reconnect to an already powered on scanner.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
In the web interface there's a reboot button to reboot the scanner, is there a way to create a hook in the thick client to catch the Windows shutdown/restart event and automatically issue that same reboot command to the com port connected scanners? Not sure if that would solve the issue. I have a spare laptop set to auto-logon to a local user account and proscan is set in the startup folder to auto-launch. But that still doesn't allow for the USB com port to auto-reconnect to an already powered on scanner.

automatically issue that same reboot command to the com port connected scanners
That only works if the scanner is communicating and if it's communicating then it doesn't need a reboot.

The Reboot button should just show when using BCD536HP, SDS200, & SDS200E scanners. Those types support audio over Ethernet. I made a change so it won't show for the SDS100. The reboot button is there for, if the scanner stops sending audio. It works only when the scanner data side is normally communicating. I'll put a question mark/tip icon next to the button to make it clear on what it does. It can't reboot the scanner if the data side is not communicating.

Last edited: