Is this Rikers Island communications on 484.900?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

I've always listened to the guards on 453.600. Just now while scanning, I picked up traffic on 484.900 MHz. This is 100% jail traffic and I think I recognize the operator's voice, the jargon, and the names of the buildings from the other frequency.

If it is Rikers, they either just started using the frequency, or the air was dead the hundreds of other times I scanned past it. Normally, past the 470s up to 520, I've only picked up some ambulance traffic.

KC2zZe

48, If you're hearing 484.90625 being used with DCS 331, then that's the channel being used at the George R. Vierno Center, one of the facilities on Rikers Island. As far as the "ambulance" traffic you're hearing between 470.0000 and 520.0000, that's, quite likely, FDNY*EMS - specifically between 482 and 488 MHz.

dragon48

Thanks for the info. I'll test the DCS tone.

While we are on the subject of Rikers Island, I was wondering if I could get clarification on a term. The guards use the term "medication window" all day. I suspect they are referring to a window of opportunity timeframe and not a actual window. Am I correct?

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I'll test the DCS tone.

While we are on the subject of Rikers Island, I was wondering if I could get clarification on a term. The guards use the term "medication window" all day. I suspect they are referring to a window of opportunity timeframe and not a actual window. Am I correct?

As nurse who had worked in facilities like this the Medication Window is basically a secure room where the Nurse hands out Medications at scheduled time for patients. Example if you had to take your morning meds as a inmate you would walk down to the medication window. This is expected unless you are unable to ambulate on your own and or require a hospital bed (depending on the level of medical care offered in the jail).

Status
Not open for further replies.