Is this staTement true ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadan005

"Man I hate to tell you this but you're spinning your wheels,the only frequency that you have to program for each city are the control channels which are the frequencies in red.Once you do this you will see that it is the only frequency that you will need to program.The scanner will then begin to trunk through the rest of the frequencies from this one control channel.Just trying to help make programing a little faster."

"Man I hate to tell you this but you're spinning your wheels,the only frequency that you have to program for each city are the control channels which are the frequencies in red.Once you do this you will see that it is the only frequency that you will need to program.The scanner will then begin to trunk through the rest of the frequencies from this one control channel.Just trying to help make programing a little faster."

I live in Michigan and all I have programmed in there is the control channels the ones in red and blue. Yes the rest of the frequencies will play of the control channel.

Sometimes there are more than one control channle because agencies rotate them. Usually it's automatic when the control channel changes, so it is a good idea to put all control channels incase the agency does switch them ona daily bases.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Control_Channel_Only

Click on the link there.

Last edited:

mikey60

The basic answer is... It depends on the system...

If the system is a P25 9600bps system or an 800/900 MHz Motorola system that is not using any rebanded channels in the 851-854MHz range (Those frequencies with a 0 in the 4th decimal place), then this statement is pretty much true.

If the system is an EDACS, LTR or Motorola UHF/VHF/Rebanded system, then more work is needed.

EDACS and LTR systems require ALL frequencies be entered. EDACS systems absolutely require that the frequencies be placed in the correct channel positions (known as LCNs) to operate. LTR systems generally require the same thing, however some scanners can do the LCN work for you on those.

Motorola VHF, UHF and Rebanded systems only need the control channels entered, however they also need the trunking tables in order to be able to calculate the correct frequency to tune for a voice transmission. VHF and UHF systems require a bit of work to figure out the correct tables. With the exception of the "Scrambled" tables that only one system that I know of uses, the rebanded table is pretty standard, and most PC software will allow them to be entered quite easily.

Mike

aquadan005

Or you put it on Wildcard and forget it...after you put in the CC

Well the system I want to listen to has ALOT of talkgroups in it (Mont Co. PA) I really don't want to listen to, so I won't be using the Wildcard feature.
So once I program the control channels, then I can just enter the talkgroup IDs I want to hear. Do I have to enter the control freq. each time I enter a new talkgroup ID ? This is where the 106 gets confusing to me.
Right now I'm using the preloaded scan lists and it sucks because each time I turn on the scanner I have to lock out all the crap I don't want to hear.

wmbio

Add a group Wildcard and when a TG appears you will have two choices, if do not wish to listen to this TG press the TGL/O - F1 button to eliminate that group from your scan. Your other option is to press the Stor - F3 button to save the TG you want to listen to, then go back into the groups you saved and add department or service names to the TG you just saved.

You can also purchase several good computer programs so you can do everything on your PC and upload it to the scanner, some folks say this is a better route than programming by hand and a lot quicker.

Here is a link to an easier to read guide for your scanner that may help. Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Enjoy
Wmbio

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
cc only scanning

"Man I hate to tell you this but you're spinning your wheels,the only frequency that you have to program for each city are the control channels which are the frequencies in red. ... Is this staTement true ?
Yes .. and no. Some of the control channel frequencies are also shown in blue. They are not used often, but when they are if you don't have them programmed your scanner will go silent.

The scanner will then begin to trunk through the rest of the frequencies from this one control channel.
It depends on the scanner, the system being monitored and the mode you have the scanner programmed for (if your scanner has options). But yes, many scanners only need the few control channel frequencies and figure everything out from there (if they've been programmed correctly).

Just trying to help make programing a little faster."
It is not how fast you program, as most of us use software anyway. It is how ACCURATELY you program. The devil is in the details.

aquadan005

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. The 106 is a steep learning curve as far as programming is concerned, and I ain't giving up til I get it right!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
It does take a little bit to get used to, when you leave behind the traditional channels, and banks of channels on your scanner. This radio allows you to group things into scan lists, pretty much however you want them arranged.

I would suggest downloading a programming software for your scanner, which is basically the GRE PSR-500 inside a RadioShack skin, and getting the programming cable. That way you can see things in front of you, and is much easier than trying to program by hand. If you purchase a premium subscription to this site, then your programming software can retrieve radio system information from this site.

Being in eastern MontCo, I would also suggest programming in Bucks County. This is especially with the amount of time that the fire companies spend running back and forth across County Line Rd.

Either way, you need to look at how you want to group things you want to listen to, into scan lists. You have 20 scan lists to choose from. (There are ways to use more than that, but I am keeping this simple.)

Status
Not open for further replies.