Is This The Best Setup For Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Hi Scott, nice to see you here. Not so sure I'll be staying here as for some reason my posts take 2 days to appear and that kind of annoys me,

Let's analyze this....

Your first post was approved in about 6 1/2 hours, your second was approved in about 30 minutes and this one in about 90 minutes.

Maybe you missed this thread, so here it is for your information...

MikeThompson

So Mike did you ever make a final choice for your antenna don't want to suggest if you already have something.
I ended up going with the wire antenna fed along the eaves of my house. That was working reasonably well until my receiver conked out and can't pickup much anymore. I am waiting for the arrival of my new TECSUN 660 and see how that performs with the wire before I think about upgrading.

What would you suggest?

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> What would you suggest?
How about a nice, big and rotatable HF Log Periodic Antenna?

114c1ecf34e73150734a3993681bed54.png

LOL!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

gbriden

Personally I run 2 antennas

1) Outdoor 100 Ft. Long Wire in my case going North / South. Daytime Long wire is very noisy but Night time it is Great.
2) Outdoor MLA-30 Amp. Loop at about 25 Feet. The benefit of a loop is you can rotate it to null out the most noise.

If you have high local noise go MLA-30 but if you are away from most of the local noise a good Long Wire is amazing.

For Price to Performance the Tecsun 6xx Series of radios are VERY good You should be Very happy.

K4EET

Chaplain
I've had good luck so far with the combination of the Tecsun and 100ft wire. Of course, there is always a temptation to get a better antenna.
What all have you been able to hear thus far? Is the reception better than with the other receiver/antenna? Finally, I'm still working on making that log periodic come together for you. I hope you are negotiating to buy out your neighbors' properties. :ROFLMAO:

majoco

Stirrer
K4EET said:
How about a nice, big and rotatable HF Log Periodic Antenna?
When I win the lottery, I want a bit of land down by the beach where I can install my AN/FDR-10 "Bullseye" antenna - and all the buildings to go with it of course! This one is about 10 miles from me....the sea is about 500 yards to the left of the picture

Bullseye antenna.jpg

Bullseys site.jpg

MikeThompson

What all have you been able to hear thus far?

Quite a few stations actually. I should keep a log, but I'm working on making a reception report .pdf file to mail or send to broadcasters. For me, Radio Marti is like a good friend, its always there. I've picked up a few random religious broadcasters as well. I may have even gotten Argentina once.

I'm still trying to find HAM radio guys, but I did pick up someone talking about his antenna on SSB, so I know I can do it.

Is the reception better than with the other receiver/antenna?

Most definitely yes. Biggest difference is the fine tuning on the digital tuner. Also the frequency range is much larger, I was missing so much.

I hope you are negotiating to buy out your neighbors' properties

One of my neighbours is away camping, so if you can get that tower here today we can have it up before they come back Dave.

When I win the lottery

When I win the lottery, my wife will be surprised how expensive my hobbies suddenly became.

K4EET

Chaplain
Mike,

It is great to hear that you are doing so well receiving broadcast stations now. And yes, you really should be keeping a log. I am trying to find something for Android but I haven't come up with anything yet. :cry: I'll keep looking.

<snip> I'm still trying to find HAM radio guys, but I did pick up someone talking about his antenna on SSB, so I know I can do it. <snip>

Here is the Band Plan for Amateur Radio. This is from the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) which is the main organization for hams in the United States.

You can download the following chart from HERE.

73 my friend, Dave K4EET

Band_Chart_Image_for_ARRL_Web.jpg

GB46

Quite a few stations actually. I should keep a log, but I'm working on making a reception report .pdf file to mail or send to broadcasters. For me, Radio Marti is like a good friend, its always there. I've picked up a few random religious broadcasters as well. I may have even gotten Argentina once.

Do you ever hear Brazil's Radio Nacional de Amazonia? They can easily be found on 6180 and 11780 kHz in the evening up until 03:00 UTC. On some evenings they reach maximum on my S meter, even with just a whip antenna. The language is Portuguese, but they mostly play music.

I'm still trying to find HAM radio guys, but I did pick up someone talking about his antenna on SSB, so I know I can do it.

There's lots of ham activity on the 40 meter band between 7100 and 7300, especially after dark, mostly voice transmissions in LSB mode. There is some even in the daytime; starting around 10:30 AM local (17:30 UTC) daily the "Noontime Net" meets on 7283.5 kHz, and most of the hams you will hear are checking into the net. Sometimes the net controller doesn't close the net until mid afternoon, depending on how many stations check in that day. Most of the stations I hear are south of me, anywhere from Idaho to California, but there are some from Canada, as well.

Starting shortly after 23:00 UTC daily Canada's "Aurora Net" meets on 7100 kHz. They have pretty much the same format as other nets, but in this case hams in all of our provinces and territories participate.

GB46

To Mike Thompson: You will eventually hear some ham activity from Canada, Mike, so here's a list of the call sign prefixes for Canadian hams. I live in the VE7 or VA7 call region, but am not a ham myself.

VE1 VA1 Nova Scotia
VE2 VA2 Quebec
VE3 VA3 Ontario
VE4 VA4 Manitoba
VE5 VA5 Saskatchewan
VE6 VA6 Alberta
VE7 VA7 British Columbia
VE8 Northwest Territories
VE9 New Brunswick
VE0 Stations at sea
VO1 Newfoundland
VO2 Labrador
VY1 Yukon
VY2 Prince Edward Island
VY9 Government of Canada
VY0 Nunavut
CY0 Sable Island
CY9 St. Paul Island

MikeThompson

Thanks Dave, when I get some time this weekend I will see what I can hear. Do you mind sending me your email? I want you to give me your opinion on a qsl request/ reception report template I made.

Mike

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Mike,

Here is the Canadian equivalent of the ARRL down here:

Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC)

I'll shoot you my eMail address via PM.

73, Dave K4EET

majoco

Stirrer
Here's a very good article on sending reception reports....

Has Mike Thompson actually given his location yet? Everyone seems to assume that he's in the USofA but the Dragon avatar may be a clue?

Status
Not open for further replies.