• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is this TK 790 fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
Acquired a used TK 790. When powered on, all the LEDs light up and nothing else. I've tried pressing the programmable function keys during the power on cycle with no difference. Any ideas on how I might get it to boot and / or what might be wrong?

Larry

Is it dash mount or remote mount?

If dash mount you could try to simply remove the head and make sure the cables are plugged in securely. You will have to remove the top and botttom cover and then remove two screws on each side to access that.

And with remote mount verify all cables are secure. If you have not done so already.

Also if you are not getting the proper voltage to the radio they can do some funky things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
Is this TK 790 Fried?

I should have articulated a little more about the trouble shooting that I performed. This radio is a high power trunk mount with a remote head kit. I swapped out the remote head for one that I know is working, same result. I tried all the tricks I know to get it to boot into various modes (pressing soft keys while powering on), same result. I have not tried swapping out the cable, that is something I will try next and post the results here, or I guess I could remove the remote head kit and put the control head directly on the radio to eliminate the cable as a source of trouble? Hopefully that's it (I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner).

Larry

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
Well, I eliminated the remote control head kit and mounted the control head on the radio. That seems to have solved the problem as now I can read and write to the radio. So either the cabling is defective or a connection with the cabling is defective.

Larry

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
The cable is 25 feet. Next I suppose I'll check the continuity of each wire in the cable and see if I can narrow down the issue. It might be worth trying to replace the connectors?

Larry

com501

You could just buy a used cable off Fleabay. Do you really need 25 feet? The stock cables are 17 feet.

Troubleshooting the cable should be easy, put your bare fingers around the cable and slowly draw it through your fingers from end to end. Any anomalies will be apparent. Typical failure is if you find a STIFF spot in the cable, indicating someone ran it under a carpet or mat over the top of a catalytic converter. Floorboards in modern vehicles get hot enough to melt coax and cables where the cat is.

If you get desperate, the Motorola dealer in Reno is also a Kenwood dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.