Is This True ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BYPASS999

I've been told never, never, ever, operate multiple scanners next to each other. But i have noticed that lots of people have four or more scaners. And if it is ture ,that this shouldn't be done, what about a Nascar event where everyone next to you has a scanner. Is this rule outdated or does it still apply? I don't want to blow-up my scanner.

Thanks for your help. Im still learning.

mancow

Database Admin
It's pretty much an outdated rule. It applied to old units that exhibited quite a bit of I.F. leakage that caused stray emissions from one radio to be received by another.

Patch42

I can see where operating them near each other might cause some slight interference and degraded performance, but I can't imagine the circumstance where they would cause actual damage to each other. I've had my scanner within a few hundred feet of cell towers, FM broadcast towers, pager transmitters, etc. and never suffered any damage. Those real transmitters are far more powerful than any leakage that might occur from a scanner.

Northe

I've been told never, never, ever, operate multiple scanners next to each other. But i have noticed that lots of people have four or more scanners. And if it is true ,that this shouldn't be done, what about a Nascar event where everyone next to you has a scanner. Is this rule outdated or does it still apply?

I've got a RadioShack PRO97, and was running an old RS PRO 57 next to it. When the old scanner was on certain frequencies, it would generate a strong carrier on other frequencies in the PRO97 (I don't recall the frequencies). That's the only problem -- one scanner might lock up certain frequencies on the other, but certainly won't damage anything.

Northe
N6KO
Green Valley AZ

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
While multiple scanners all going at once won't damage each other they CAN cause brain damage! They mess up your mind with information overload much like a bum trip on LSD and you can suffer flashbacks at inconvenient times. If you see someone walking down the street babbling to himself like a cop to an invisible dispatcher and he doesn't have a Blackberry stuck in his ear he's one of those poor unfortunate souls we call whackers who thought that listening to a room full of scanners is harmless. Always remember those voices in your head are REAL but they'll go away in time with a few years of psychotherapy but meanwhile getting tripped out on lithium or Prozac can be fun and take your mind off the scanners for a while, it takes your mind off everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.