Is this useful?

KK4ELO

I was given this antenna. A friend bought one of the chicom radios, not sure which, but it came with this external antenna. It is one of the small mag mount bases so no internal loading coil. He said the packaging stated vhf/uhf, but I find that very hard to believe. Just judging by the length, it's not usable for 440, I doubt it's even good for 800. No skin if it's junk just like to know.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I was given this antenna. A friend bought one of the chicom radios, not sure which, but it came with this external antenna. It is one of the small mag mount bases so no internal loading coil. He said the packaging stated vhf/uhf, but I find that very hard to believe. Just judging by the length, it's not usable for 440, I doubt it's even good for 800. No skin if it's junk just like to know.

Yeah, pics would help.
If it's around 19" long, it'll be 1/4 wave(ish) on 2 meter/VHF. It'll be 3/4 wave on 70cm/UHF. 3/4 wave on UHF will work fine and give low SWR on the UHF band, but will have a radiation pattern that will throw a lot of the UHF signal up above the horizon.

If it came with a CCR, it's probably same quality as the radio, so temper your expectations.

KK4ELO

Sorry didn't realize the picture didn't upload. Says the file is too large. I guess I'll have to try another way tomorrow. It's 4 1/2" long, about an inch up straight, then around 1/2" worth of coil, then the rest straight. I'll try to get another Pic.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Never seen a CCA that small before. Looks like it ~might~ be cellular of some sort. The coil isn't right for VHF/UHF, but usually the CCR owners don't care about performance, just looks.

I ended up with one of those cheap Chinese antennas that was left over from some cellular modem at work. I stuck it on the side of a storage cabinet a few years ago. It's still there, needs to be thrown out.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
There we go
That look exactly like the antenna I got in a nooelec RTL-SDR kit, including the small mag mount base. Its probably a common antenna kit pumped out of china sold in all kinds of kits that they dont care its actual band or performance if it was sold as vhf/uhf

Last edited: