Is Uniden about to release a new line of scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth21w

I keep seeing these scanner prices getting lower and lower, and seems they are trying to suddenly move many units. If we do get a new scanner line I am in so long as it can properly handle simulcast. What would everyone like to see?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I would just be happy seeing NXDN on my x36's and 996P2's. I bought a Kenwood NX5300 for NXDN works better than my TRX's on NXDN. I thought my TRX's was working good until I sit my NX5300 beside my TRX's and found I was missing about 40%. With my NX5300 I have no missed or dropped traffic.

radiomankc

Or, are they tying to get rid of stocked items before they exit the scanner business???

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
A real charging circuit in the portables.. or maybe a drop in charger that's smart enough to know when a battery is charged...

The we'll just let them set a timer and charge for that long crap, is just that.. Crap.

seth21w

A real charging circuit in the portables.. or maybe a drop in charger that's smart enough to know when a battery is charged...

The we'll just let them set a timer and charge for that long crap, is just that.. Crap.

+1 to this if a baofeng can sell for 30 bucks and come with a lipo battery and drop in charger so can a uniden handheld.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't take a sale as indication that a new line is on the way. Sure, Uniden will eventually debut a new line of scanners to "replace" the x36HP series, just like that series was intended to supplant the x96XT line.

There's a thread around here somewhere where people (myself included) were posting thier wishlist/demands for the next line, so I'll just say this: If Uniden hasn't learned from the debut of the last line of scanners with faulty components and features that were advertised as coming soon (Siren, WiFi) then we're all in for a huge disappointment.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Is it on sale anywhere else? Not as far as I've seen. It's just one of those Amazon deals, they do this all the time to get traffic and/or new buyers.

When I bought one there were less than 10 left, current orders will take somewhat longer as stock arrives.

Nasby

I wouldn't take a sale as indication that a new line is on the way. Sure, Uniden will eventually debut a new line of scanners to "replace" the x36HP series, just like that series was intended to supplant the x96XT line.

There's a thread around here somewhere where people (myself included) were posting thier wishlist/demands for the next line, so I'll just say this: If Uniden hasn't learned from the debut of the last line of scanners with faulty components and features that were advertised as coming soon (Siren, WiFi) then we're all in for a huge disappointment.

Hopefully, not only Uniden learned from the debacle of the X36 line, but we as consumers as well.

I remember folks couldn't wait to plop down large amounts of hard earned cash when the pre-release sales orders of the x36 scanners were announced.

wbswetnam

Will we learn as consumers? It depends on your inner 12-year-old. When Whistler introduced its TRX series, I managed to resist until the first reports came out, which were positive, then I sprung for a TRX-1. As far as Uniden's x36 series, I wasn't immediately impressed, and I did not buy one until the DMR upgrade was announced last year.

seth21w

Will we learn as consumers? It depends on your inner 12-year-old. When Whistler introduced its TRX series, I managed to resist until the first reports came out, which were positive, then I sprung for a TRX-1. As far as Uniden's x36 series, I wasn't immediately impressed, and I did not buy one until the DMR upgrade was announced last year.

I will probably be the first in line to buy if it supports simulcast capabilities, and a lithium battery pack.

LubeckTech

Premium Subscriber
It is very likely the lower prices are a result of diminished demand.
As time passes there are fewer and fewer of us interested in monitoring. The radio environment is much more complicated since the introduction of digital trunked systems, simulcasting and encryption. Much of the scanner market was driven by people wanting to know "what is happening" but with omnipresent cell phones and social media they get information differently than in the past. Plus people are changing - my kids can't understand why anyone would possibly be interested in listening to law enforcement and other public service radio transmissions. We are dinosaurs our numbers are dwindling - the market becomes more of a niche every day.

milcom_chaser

As time passes there are fewer and fewer of us interested in monitoring. The radio environment is much more complicated since the introduction of digital trunked systems, simulcasting and encryption. Much of the scanner market was driven by people wanting to know "what is happening" but with omnipresent cell phones and social media they get information differently than in the past. Plus people are changing - my kids can't understand why anyone would possibly be interested in listening to law enforcement and other public service radio transmissions. We are dinosaurs our numbers are dwindling - the market becomes more of a niche every day.

However, social media won't give you direct Air to Gnd coms during a major brush fire...

milcom_chaser

Seems with the 325/996P2 series of radios, and the current X36 line, including DMR/ProVoice options, it might be awhile before we see a new line of radios from Uniden...

wbswetnam

This is true, to some extent. There have always been folks that want to "listen to the cops" but don't care to know how to program their scanners or know about its advanced features. They want to turn a knob to the 'on' position and listen. Thirty years ago, I was working at a Radio Shack store, and I remember a guy came in and paid me $5 to program his Bearcat 210 scanner for him.

Radios and scanner listening have always been a 'niche' market, but there are still plenty of young adults and even teenagers who are interested. Go to a hamfest and look around. Yeah, there are some old geezers sitting around talking about their hemorrhoids and latest heart bypass surgeries, but there are plenty of guys in their 20s - 40s who are milling around looking at radio equipment, and buying stuff.

Nasby

I will probably be the first in line to buy if it supports simulcast capabilities, and a lithium battery pack.

And I will await yours and others reviews of all the bugs before I play the role as beta tester again.

seth21w

I am 32 years old and have been listening to scanners since i was 10, and although i will visit the occasional facebook, im usually listening to my radio and reading the forums. There is and will always be something interesting on the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.