iScan Poll

Do you plan to purchase (or already did) a PRO-107 iScan at RadioShack?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayleesdad

Can the database in the scanner be updated periodically? I always have to modify the downloads from RR somewhat, by groups, regions, function, sometimes system type. Not sure having the national data base at hand is that much of a selling point. Couldn't hurt, though, especially if you are travelling around it would very convenient. Gotta have digital if you are traveling around, it seems.

CStarr59

I plan on buying a 107, most likely after the holidays. Right now it's a toss up between the pro-107 and the BC346XT. They are both very nice and priced very close to one another. I just need to touch and hold both first.

Dave, do you have a 107?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
You provided an option "no .. i am buying a Uniden" but you did not provide an option "no .. i am buying another GRE...".

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
How about: "No, I’m holding out for a digital version with a keypad", meaning from the same manufacturer (i.e GRE OEM).

N8IAA

When GRE makes a digital scanner with MotoTRBO and smaller, including a keypad, I'll buy a new radio. Until then, maybe a conventional/analog TT for Christmas:)
Larry

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
How about: "No, I’m holding out for a digital version with a keypad", meaning from the same manufacturer (i.e GRE OEM).
To me that means I am holding out for a digital scanner of any brand. And compared to the '107, I am holding out for another analog scanner from GRE.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
i voted, for me I want to see/hold the radio first but I also want to see a price drop/sale. It is a neat looking/functional radio but I don't want to go over 200$. I am watching this one closely though.

and for those that want a digital model, better buy this radio so that Radio Shack sees the profits and thinks it is a good idea to make a more expensive digital version, if sells are low they may drop it and not make any more.

It would be nice to know some numbers of how well these are selling, i saw some of the serial numbers people were listing were high, but you never know...

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
As pointed out by the press release and posts from the development team, it's evident that this is intended as an entry level radio that is not supported for "us" serius scanner geeks. It's up to RadioShack to make sales. After the Thanksgiving sales bypassed the Pro-107, and the only answer I got from the local store was that the digital radios were what they sold, but would have it shipped if I was interested.

jpunix

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14912/1128; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

DaveIN said:
As pointed out by the press release and posts from the development team, it's evident that this is intended as an entry level radio that is not supported for "us" serius scanner geeks. It's up to RadioShack to make sales. After the Thanksgiving sales bypassed the Pro-107, and the only answer I got from the local store was that the digital radios were what they sold, but would have it shipped if I was interested.

I wouldn't exactly call it "entry level". Admittedly when programming it from the menu system on the unit itself there are not many options offered. But when you put the SD card in your computer and use the software with the "simple" box unchecked more options that are offered on more sophisticated scanners are offered thereby making programming more granular. When in the "non-simple" mode the software provides many options for controlling trunking behavior, audio levels, tower selection, etc. Under conventional channels you can control tone squelch and other variables.

Let's also not forget that the option to allow CC dump allowing one to run software to analyze the control channel is available thru the front panel as well as thru the software.

I just think it's more accurate to say it's "entry level" out of the box but has the option to make it more sophisticated.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
“RadioReference is very excited to be an integral part of an innovative new product line for the
scanning community, “comments Lindsay Blanton, President of RadioReference.com LLC. “Including
the entire RadioReference.com frequency database allows listeners to choose what they want to
monitor without diving into the technical details that existing scanning receivers require today for
programming.”

I think the above says it all.

"The iScan Trunking scanner will be available from select RadioShack locations by mid-November."

None of my select locations are carring the 107.

rdrokker

I have owned the Iscan 107 for almost an year and I have it plugged in to house power,hooked to an outside antenna,I use an mono mini amplified speaker and have had no problems since the software update was fixed. It is on day and night. What an test,I just wanted to know the endurance of it. By the way, My rechargeable batteries never have been out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.