iScan; Updt library, ISSUE: IOHandler value is not valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycleSycho

o_O Two weeks ago I updated a friends PRO-668 with a library update on this laptop. This morning I tried to grab the latest library but an error immediately popped up " IOHandler value is not valid ". Has anyone seen this before? I have randomly updated the library here on the laptop, then called friend and asked him to stop by if he wanted to upgrade his radio. Never needed the radio or card (on a reader) to update the library before. The laptop was not upgraded between the two times (2 weeks ago and this am). Can I 'repair' iScan during an uninstall? IF I delete iScan and reinstall will it keep all the data in the folders? Never had this issue in 4 years of using iScan, to upgrade the friends radio. I have my old PRO-668 upgraded to the WS-1080 (BUT NOT on this laptop), and have EzScan on my main PC. o_O

:confused: Any ideas? :confused:

tvengr

Well Known Member
It is not a iSCAN problem. Others have recently reported the same problem. I don't know if that site will be fixed. It's probably time for another legacy upgrade for your friend. You may be able to do a library update with the WS1080 EZ Scan software. Firmware is a different story.

teknishun

I have the exact same error and problem with my GRE PSR-800 EzScan software. This seems to be a Whistler issue since they
support the RS PRO-668 and the GRE PSR-800. Prior to last week it has been working fine. I do not think this is an end user problem
and there is nothing that we, as consumers, can do -- except send the old RS PRO-668 and PSR-800 into Whistler and let them upgrade
them to a WS-1080. Do you suppose this is what Whistler is trying force people to do?

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber
Whistler is not forcing this, we have been having issues with security changes to the server and it appears the latest security changes have caused an issue issue between the old pc apps and the server. We have even experienced issues with the Whistler EZ Scan app recently as a result of the security changes.

The GRE and RadioShack apps are not supported however you can obtain an updated library using the Whistler Handheld PC app then transfer the DB files to your non supported pc app.

From the Whistler WS1080 PC App, run a library update.
Then go to your My Document > Whistler 1080 Digital > DB and copy the contents of this folder.
Replace the files in your GRE or Pro668 Digital DB folder with the files copied from the Whistler 1080 digital DB folder. Launch your GRE or RadioShack pc app and you will have the latest Library.

Keep in mind that the WS1080 library contains DMR systems however your GRE or RadioShack models do not support these objects. Details for an official DMR Upgrade program is available at whistlergroup.com/products/upgrade

CycleSycho

:( WS, Are we to infer Whistler is not going to support the older radio programs library update function ever again? Must anyone who does not do the upgrade with Whistler, do this 'go-around' onward? :(

:confused: If not Whistler (if above is true) then who, is responsible to insure the 'other' apps get the update through their respective PC programs? IS the RR database stored on the Whistler servers exclusively, and is/are there not provisions as to who does what, and when regarding that library update? Inquiring minds want and need to know. :confused:

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber

:( WS, Are we to infer Whistler is not going to support the older radio programs library update function ever again? Must anyone who does not do the upgrade with Whistler, do this 'go-around' onward? :(

Whistler has been posting the library update at the same location since day 1 and we will continue to place it in the same location.
This is what made it possible for customers of the PSR-800, Pro-18, and Pro-668 to have access.
Unless I can find a way around the latest security updates with these older pc apps (these were created prior to 2014, before our servers required a security certificate), yes you will need to apply a workaround to obtain library updates.
I timed it and it takes approx 1 minute to open up both my Document folders and complete a copy and paste of the DB folder contents from the 1080 to your radios pc application DB folder.

:confused: If not Whistler (if above is true) then who, is responsible to insure the 'other' apps get the update through their respective PC programs? IS the RR database stored on the Whistler servers exclusively, and is/are there not provisions as to who does what, and when regarding that library update? Inquiring minds want and need to know. :confused:

If you are referring to the GRE EZ Scan app then they will need to do the same as the Radio Shack iScan app.
The RR database is first compiled then stored on our server exclusively.
This is done every Friday/Saturday with the exception of occasional glitches.

CycleSycho

Whistler has been posting the library update at the same location since day 1 and we will continue to place it in the same location.
This is what made it possible for customers of the PSR-800, Pro-18, and Pro-668 to have access.
Unless I can find a way around the latest security updates with these older pc apps (these were created prior to 2014, before our servers required a security certificate), yes you will need to apply a workaround to obtain library updates.
I timed it and it takes approx 1 minute to open up both my Document folders and complete a copy and paste of the DB folder contents from the 1080 to your radios pc application DB folder.

If you are referring to the GRE EZ Scan app then they will need to do the same as the Radio Shack iScan app.
The RR database is first compiled then stored on our server exclusively.
This is done every Friday/Saturday with the exception of occasional glitches.

:( WS: My EzScan is on my PC, the other program for the friends radio is on a little used laptop. I can appreciate you can do all this copy/paste in about a minute but for me it involves getting the laptop out, booting it up, and while that is being done I have to either go to or concurrently boot my PC up, find the DB folder to copy the DB to a flash drive, then move it to the laptop, copy the files off the copied DB folder into the laptop's PRO-668's DB folder. That involves quite a lot more time than 1 minute, I hope you can appreciate the individual limitations we have outside of the business of Whistler (and its daily operations), on the user side of this hobby. My main PC does not get involved with anyone else's hardware/software (for my own security plus it is in a different part of my home and I limit access to that area), so I am not installing the iScan program on my main PC here. :(

:) I'll go to the suggestions forum and make it a suggestion that Whistler develop the correct security certs that WILL allow the 'upgradable' radios respective programs access to allow the DB's to be upgraded into the radios in the programs. It could also foster brand loyalty to be able to do these weekly updates within the individual programs. Unless RR would like to make it simpler by posting the file for download every time the database is upgraded as part of the membership? :)

CycleSycho

:) WS, I would much rather keep this in open forum. To answer some of your your questions you posed in the 'conversation' contact, the laptop is a win10 slower laptop used if my PC is doing tasks I don't want interrupted. My PC is also not available to anyone else so when my friend comes over I pull out the laptop that has his version of iScan on it and update his library (his PRO-668 since purchase in 2016). It is updated every month patch Tuesday with MS (slow due to hardware limitations) so it is used on occasion by me when I don't want or need the PC running (or doing something I don't want to piggyback on). I installed his iScan on that laptop to update his radio (and only his radio). He knows the library is updated mostly once a week so he asks me to do the update. My PC was also at the time used with my iScan program until I legacy upgraded mine., which I then uninstalled that iScan off my PC. He doesn't own a computer so I help him keep his library up to date. I have asked him quite a few times if he wanted his scanner updated to the WS-1080 but he does not. Maybe if the local organizations he likes to monitor goes phase !!, he would likely go do the upgrade but he is of the mindset if it works, don't fix it. :)

:) I ask for him (and all the other RR members and scanner owners), for Whistler to update the security certs for the models still able to be legacy updated, for those who so far choose not to update their scanner? Down the road, as members see they can still count on Whistler & RR to continue to support the hardware, I believe it'll be beneficial for the Whistler brand loyalty (IMHO). I hadn't heard of the problem to upgrade the iScan until I experienced it, I believe others are also finding it out and some even have suggested it is part of a plan to force a legacy upgrade. I know you debunked that thought process but ppl are still discussing it and frankly I think it might have some merit. :)

:) So, I have yet gone to the suggestion link, so after this post and before I turn I for the day, I'll go ahead and post a suggestion that Whistler update those relevant security certs. I hope this can be done so those with updatable scanners can count on Whistler and RR support. :)

:) After checking, found out it is going to be an email so I'll send the email then sit back and see. :)

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Unless RR would like to make it simpler by posting the file for download every time the database is upgraded as part of the membership? :)

One problem with that is it would still have to be parsed into something the GRE/RS apps would understand,

CycleSycho

:) Suggestion sent, text included:

To Whom This Concerns;

I would like Whistler to update the 'security certificates' that will allow iScan and related programs) to have the continued ability to update the library for the 'upgradable' legacy radios that are compatible with the Whistler legacy update program. See ( https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/iscan-updt-library-issue-iohandler-value-is-not-valid.410894/ ) and other related hardware forums in RR (along with Whistler Support representative in the above referenced contact/post in the RadioShack forum).

I believe this will foster brand loyalty from all hobbyists and would show good faith in that owners who have not updated their radios with the legacy update, would continue to enjoy their radios while systems across the country slowly move over to newer type systems (including Phase II). At the least, post and notify that in 'X' years, those radios are not to be 'library' supported. Just finding out they will not work, isn't good business!

Thank you.

Lets hope this is found to be done, not varying reasons why it cannot be done. :)

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
:) Possibly one of many, actual motivation to do it would be the first and maybe largest hurdle. Starting off with why it cannot be done sets a negative tone, wouldn't you agree? :)

No, I wouldn't agree. I think it's a good idea to make a list of the hurdles so you know what you are up against. But I'm not here to argue, I just stated one obstacle.

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber
I have no idea why the Security Certificate may have resulted in the issue, It seems to have coincided to when we also experienced an issue with the Whistler apps. After resolving the certificate issue, the Whistler apps were able to connect and we have no idea why the older apps do not like it. As I said before, the older apps were created long before the site became secure and there is nothing different with the reissued certificate.

I can place the compiled database Zip file on the Whistler website for anyone to download but realistically I am not sure it is any more efficient than what I suggested earlier.

In this scenario, you would need to visit our website, go to the downloads page and download the Zip file, then unzip it and copy the contents into your DB folder for the pc application that resides in your My Documents folder

What I am not sure I understand is if your friend comes over every week and you need to pull out the laptop that has his version of iScan on it and update his library why you would not install the WS1080 on the same laptop he uses and give him instruction on how he can get the update on the WS1080 application then copy the DB file to his iScan DB file. I realize not everyone is computer savvy but this might be a good opportunity to teach him something. It is never too late to learn.

Again, I can place the files on our website but he or you will need to visit our website to download, then unzip it (I assume you have a file decompression software on your laptop), then proceed to copy the filed to the DB folder just like I described with the other method.

I understand your skepticism but truthfully none of this was planned or executed. It simply happened and we are trying to find a workaround that does not involve the older non supported apps.

I have given you all a couple of options that require a bit of additional effort but can be done at no financial cost to you.
I will look into placing the Zip file on our downloads page for those that want to take this route and will look to make it available each Monday (or Tuesday if Monday is a recognized holiday).

CycleSycho

:) WS, Thanks for placing the file on the download page for everyone having this issue! My friend cannot install the EzScan program on the laptop because it isn't his laptop. I wouldn't install the program on my laptop because it (EzScan) doesn't belong on that laptop. I believe going to get the file on the download page is a better option (and not involves copy/pasting between two computers co-located), until my submitted suggestion can be acted on. Thanks for helping my friend and I. It is great to know Whistler is here to help with all the radios able to use the RR/Whistler database/programs! :)

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
When product ownership changes hands, problems can be expected. Whistler has done a good job of trying to make the transition seamless. Other companies (think M) often make changes that require expensive new software and complete incompatibility with the old version. The cost for the Whistler update is reasonable, improves the scanner performance, and adds DMR. The GRE software often froze during updates, a problem I never have with the Whistler version.

CycleSycho

:) WS, Can you please link to where the file is (or will be) located? This morning I have looked in various places in the download page but have yet to find it. I might be skimming over it, if so a link or title would help. Thank you again for helping support our scanners! :)

15plus1

Just tried a library update, and got this:

"There was an error getting the current version information from the update site.
The error message received was :

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently"

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber
For those experiencing Library update issues with the GRE and RadioShack pc apps, you can download the WS1080 EZ Scan pc app and update the library then copy the contents of the DB folder to the the DB folder for your GRE or Radio Shack pc app. This takes about 1 minute.

For those that do not want to install the WS1080 EZ Scan pc app, you can go to the download page at https://whistlergroup.com/pages/downloads and select the WS1080, there you will find a Library_dbfiles_###.zip file that can be downloaded. Once downloaded you will need to unzip the file then copy the contents into the DB folder of your pc app. Updated Library versions will be posted weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.