Isle of Wight's money pit

Status
Not open for further replies.

clbsquared

I agree that Isle of Wight is in desperate need of a new communications system. However, this is just one mans quest to convince the smaller agencies in and around Hampton Roads, they need to spend tens of millions of dollars to achieve the same goal that could be achieved for less than a couple million.

Things I trust more than Terry Hall:

1- A haircut by Ray Charles
2- Going to a party where Bill Cosby is the bartender
3- Sitting next to Pee Wee Herman in a movie theater
4- A dinner invitation from Hannibal Lecter

http://www.tidewaternews.com/2016/12/03/iw-supervisors-receive-update-on-new-911-towers/

HankFrank

What is the latest estimated total cost for Isle of Wight?

Fluvanna County is spending $7.6 million on it's own VHF, 6 site, Phase 2 system. It has around 26,000 people.

clbsquared

Fluvanna County is spending $7.6 million on it's own VHF, 6 site, Phase 2 system. It has around 26,000 people.

Roughly a population of 35,000. Last estimate was 7.8 million. Phase 1, 800MHz, 5 towers. 2 of which are already owned and utilized by the City of Suffolk. Isle of wight will not own the core system. They're basically leasing a portion of Suffolk's existing system.

clbsquared

That's good news, still about 2 years or more from the actual build out

As far as the county getting a new system, yes, that's good news. The manner in which they've gone about getting it puts a bad taste in my mouth. They "back door'd" the whole deal and wouldn't hear of any other system but this one. They went directly to MSI and completely cut out any of our local vendors. Of course I'm sure Atlantic Communications will end up being the service provider of some sorts later on down the road.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Roughly a population of 35,000. Last estimate was 7.8 million. Phase 1, 800MHz, 5 towers. 2 of which are already owned and utilized by the City of Suffolk. Isle of wight will not own the core system. They're basically leasing a portion of Suffolk's existing system.

Which 2 towers are owned and utilized by Suffolk? I read the article and none of the addresses are in Suffolk. The only tower I can think of is off 460 close to Windsor Woodworks, but it's in Suffolk

clbsquared

Pruden Blvd at Gardner Lane and the other one is located somewhere off of 58 near Franklin I believe. So I guess that would actually put them at a 7 tower system with only having to construct 5. But I'm wondering why they would put up an 80 foot tower at the Courthouse when there is a 400 foot tower there already in use by the current VHF system that will be abandoned. Could the 80 foot tower be temporary until the switch over? And then use the 400 foot after the legacy system is abandoned?

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Pruden Blvd at Gardner Lane and the other one is located somewhere off of 58 near Franklin I believe. So I guess that would actually put them at a 7 tower system with only having to construct 5. But I'm wondering why they would put up an 80 foot tower at the Courthouse when there is a 400 foot tower there already in use by the current VHF system that will be abandoned. Could the 80 foot tower be temporary until the switch over? And then use the 400 foot after the legacy system is abandoned?

Probably because they're constructing the new 911 center, so they've got to move the 400 foot tower

clbsquared

Unless they've changed it, they're only planning on adding an additional console to the current 911 Center. Which is only going to require a small remodel of the existing center.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Isle of wight

I know for a fact they are not using Suffolk system at all. I have all the frequencies and even the system id but was told not to release it. They are switching radios out as of Feb. they have Harris XG 100. They are switching to apx 6000. The date that they are talking about going live in Dec 17, 2017.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I know for a fact they are not using Suffolk system at all. I have all the frequencies and even the system id but was told not to release it. They are switching radios out as of Feb. they have Harris XG 100. They are switching to apx 6000. The date that they are talking about going live in Dec 17, 2017.

Geez they sure are hopeful, December 17 2017? Haven't even started on tower construction

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Yep

Yea no later then Feb 20, 2018 but should be done by Dec 17,2017.

clbsquared

So I guess since they are switching out radios in Feb. to convert to the new system, the APX 6000 would have to be a dual band radio. Since they are currently on VHF and switching to 800 MHz? And the $25,000.00 they paid to Suffolk along with the agreement between the two agencies was just a tactic to hide what they were really up to? Those Harris radios they have now sure do look a lot like CDM and HT 1250's and XTS and XTL 2500's. But hey...what do I know.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Isle of Wight

We also carry the Harris radios as well. All I was told I could say is what I put up here. We will find out when it rolls out.

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber

Do you by any chance have more details on this? I was just back in Fluvanna this weekend, but I just became inactive on rescue there, but will be back. Would love to know what I'll need to do to continue monitoring or keep my personal XTS5000 working in the county.

May require new thread not sure.

Thanks

fredva

Feed Provider
Do you by any chance have more details on this? I was just back in Fluvanna this weekend, but I just became inactive on rescue there, but will be back. Would love to know what I'll need to do to continue monitoring or keep my personal XTS5000 working in the county.

May require new thread not sure.

Thanks

Already a couple of threads created about Fluvanna. This appears to be the most recent: http://forums.radioreference.com/vi...luvanna-co-closer-upgrading-radio-system.html

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber

This is less than what Powhatan County's BOS (pop 29,000) has approved for a 10-site 800MHz system. While I know nothing of IOW's politics, the price tag doesn't seem too far off.

clbsquared

This is less than what Powhatan County's BOS (pop 29,000) has approved for a 10-site 800MHz system. While I know nothing of IOW's politics, the price tag doesn't seem too far off.

They do what they want, when they want. Whether they have the money or not is of little concern to them. They'll just borrow it and worry about the budget later.

fredva

Feed Provider
clbsquared, just curious - what is the basis for believing that the county could achieve its goals for less than a couple of million? They are going from a VHF conventional system (according to the database) to an 800 mhz trunking system. That's a significant change.

Status
Not open for further replies.