ISP and Air-One radio use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acepilot340

Last night there was a home invasion in Frankfort, Illinois near Rt30 and Harlem Ave (43), and dispatch was going to call either Air-One or an ISP helicopter to aid in support. They were never called out because the armed suspects fled before the police arrived and once the police arrived the house was soon cleared. Now if Air-One was called out what would they use to communicate to the officers down below?

firetaz834

I believe most police helicopters have radio equipment that will allow them to communicate on public safety channels in addition to air frequencies.

In our area the med-flight choppers have radio equipment that they use to communicate with fire crews when dispatched to a fire scene.

The communications equipment they use will allow them to just about talk with any agency they need too, all they need are the frequency and the tones used.

MikeyC

You can catch AIR-ONE on the ILEAS talkgroup on Starcom from time-to-time when they're away from their home area.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
AIR-ONE Comms

It seems that the AIR-ONE helos primarily communicate with their dispatcher (Winthrop Harbor PD) and with each other using the StarCom 21 "ILEAS" talkgroup (30329), though I have seen past reports of at least the Kenosha-based helo also having the ability to use Winthrop Harbor PD's 155.610(123.0) alternate repeater. I have not personally heard these helos working ground units on a call-out, but I believe they have access to common freqs like ISPERN (155.475), IREACH (155.055) and other common interoperability channels Statewide / Common / Shared Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference to accomplish this. They may also have access to other freqs per agreements with local law enforcement agencies.

AFAIK there are four helos currently in the AIR-ONE system:

- N79PD (radio callsign "AIR-ONE 79"), based in Kenosha
- N92PD (radio callsign "AIR-ONE 92"), based in Rockford
- N62PD (radio callsign "AIR-ONE 62"), based in Freeport(?)
- N67PD (radio callsign "AIR-ONE 67"), based in Rockford(?)

More information about this organization and the helos can be found at:

- Law Enforcement Aviation Coalition
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Aviation_Coalition,_Inc.

You might also want to keep an ear open for traffic on StarCom21 talkgroup 13015 ("Air Ops") - it is used by Illinois State Police Air Operations personnel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.