ISP District Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
After spending weeks scouring the internet for a good, clear map of the Illinois State Police Districts, I decided to make my own.

I am looking for a way to submit it to the RadioReference.com Database to be put in the Codes and Maps area under ISP, but I don't see an option for submitting maps.

If anybody knows how to get it on the RR.com ISP page, feel free to do so.

The link below contains a larger, cleaner, unresized .png version of the map. Enjoy.

www.gc505.info/isp_map.png

Attachments

• ISP_map.jpg
    ISP_map.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 5,326

N9JIG

Sheriff
I think the one in the CARMA Profile is pretty good, of course I am a little biased!.

Terry: Feel free to use these on RadioReference if you wish.

The entire file is at:
http://www.carmachicago.com/profiles/pdf/ILStateRadio.pdf

This is the map in the file:
isp1.gif

I also have a B/W version:
ISPDistMap.jpg

NE9N

Isp

Dear Sirs What ever happened to Illinois state police districts 3 & 4 ???? De Dave M NE9N

N9JIG

Sheriff
They were merged in the 1990's to form District Chicago. This was actually the second time they were merged. During the late 1970's Districts 3 and 4 were merged the first time into "District 17" (The highest number district prior to this was 16). Dispatch was at the Des Plaines River Road facility for a while before reverting back to the Crestwood and Chicago centers. This District 17 was seperated back to 3 & 4 about 1983. A couple years later the current District 17 was formed at LaSalle.

Interestingly, District 3 was for a short time made a sub-post of District 2. In the mid 1960's the Chicago post was known as District 2A. I think this was about 1963 to 1965. After that it reverted back to District 3.

bessiedawg

ISP used to use a sub-district system. I think there were about five or six sub-disricts in the state. They ahve since been converted into their own districts.

N9JIG

Sheriff
bessiedawg said:
ISP used to use a sub-district system. I think there were about five or six sub-disricts in the state. They ahve since been converted into their own districts.
A few off the top of my head include:

1A (16) Rockford (Now Pecatonica)
2A (03) Chicago (Now District Chicago)
6A (21) Ashkum
8A (17) LaSalle
11A (18) Litchfield
12A (19) Albion (Now Carmi)
13A (22) Cairo (Now Ullin)
14A (20) Pittsfield

bessiedawg

Yup, those sound familiar. As I recall, the sub-districts operated on the same radio freq as the main district to which they were assigned. I may be wrong, but I don't think the sub-district base stations identified themselves by the town or city name. Instead they would use the actual sub-district number. For example, District 6 HQ would identify itself as "Pontiac". The District 6 sub-district headquarters at Ashkum would identify itself as "6A".

I didn't know about the Chicago sub-district. Also, my recollection was that LaSalle District 17 was actually the District 5 Joliet sub-district, and not District 8. On a map, it would look like District 8 was the best match. However I think they were with Dsit 5 because of i-80.

On a side note, I grew up in Decatur. A long time ago, Decatur ( Macon County ) was in District 9. That was when District 10 HQ was at Urbana. Also Dewitt County used to be in District 10, but was moved to District 6 about 30 years ago or so. That move never made sense to me.

N9JIG

Sheriff
OK, I went to my map collection and here is what I think is the best list I can come up with:

1A Pecatonica ("Rockford") Now District 17, last noted in 1974
2A Chicago (Harlem/Irving) Was and then again District 3. (2A only shown on the 1963 and 1964 maps)
5A Peru, later LaSalle-Peru. Now District 17 at LaSalle, last noted 1980
6A Ashkum, now District 21, last noted 1984
11A Litchfield, now District 18, last noted 1980
12A Carmi (Was Albion prior to 1978) Now District 19, last noted in 1980
13A Cairo, last noted 1988, now at Ullin
14A Pittsfield, now District 20, last noted 1982
17C Crestwood, Only noted on the 1978 map
17D Des Plaines, only noted on the 1978 map

The District 17 moniker for the combined District 3 & 4 was used more for sending teletype messages as using the "L17" identifier allowed messages to be sent to all terminals in Cook County. I was dispatching from 1979 thru 1984 and recall using L17 dozens of times. I don't think they ever actually merged posts or dispatch operations as Crestwood and "Chicago" always had different low band and high band channels, even during the District 17 days.

The Des Plaines post at the time was 477 River Road, now used by the ICC Police. After the State Police moved radio back to Harlem and Irving this was used for IBI (later called DCI) dispatch. I dated a dispatcher there for a while and visited the post several times during the late 70's and early 80's.

As for the 8A I mentioned in an earlier post, I was mistaken, it was actually 5A as BessieDawg mentioned.

As far as the sub-posts identifying with "XX-A" I think that was a discretionary thing with the posts as I have heard them use both the sub-posts city names and "XX-A" at different times. 13-A at Cairo used "Cairo" as often as not, as did Ashkum (6-A)

Status
Not open for further replies.