ISP @ Idaho Falls question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshineandmonkeys

Premium Subscriber
So I am listening to District 6's secondary Channel in Idaho Falls today (460.300) and can only hear the Dispatchers speaking.....

Whist driving through the Pocatello area, both the Officer and Dispatcher sides of a conversation were coming over the air just fine....

Any clues?

tfgeocacher

You may actually be hearing dispatch on the Bennett repeater which has the same Rx frequency. 460.300 covers a very large area. Do you have any unit identifiers as this may provide a clue. TFGeocacher

bingozone

QRT
So I am listening to District 6's secondary Channel in Idaho Falls today (460.300) and can only hear the Dispatchers speaking.....

Whist driving through the Pocatello area, both the Officer and Dispatcher sides of a conversation were coming over the air just fine....

Any clues?

Wwll thats because it is far away and then when you get on the rd you are close to a wireless signal.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin

Any clues?
Much of the time the Region 6 dispatch is simulcast on 460.200 97.4PL (Relay Ridge) and 460.300 110.9PL(Iona Butte). The mobile may only be on the 460.200 Relay Ridge repeater, so you won't hear any response on 460.300. 460.200 is the primary frequency for this area, but there are some areas around Idaho Falls where Relay Ridge is not received very well. So 460.300 is the backup freq. for those bad reception areas.

460.525 118.8PL (Kelly Mtn) is used for the areas east of Ririe and into Swan Valley.

460.550 141.3 PL (East Butte) is used for the areas west of I. F. around Arco and into Butte County. This frequency is used by both Region 5 and Region 6 dispatch.

Dave

Last edited:

Sunshineandmonkeys

Premium Subscriber
@ TF Geocacher: I have heard a few 5xx units come across and copied their traffic GREAT.....but sometimes will hear only the dispatcher's side.
@Thewenk: I'm in the area of the airport in IF and wouldn't think this is a bad area for the ISP primary...

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
I usually monitor both 460.2 and 460.3 all the time. It is not consistent when 460.3 is used by the mobile units.

Listening to ISP right now with my 996 on my outside antenna, I am getting only half the signal strength indication from Relay as from Iona. With my PSR500 and a portable antenna receiving Relay is very location dependent and somewhat intermittent. This has been my previous experience over the years that receiving Relay with a portable antenna is quite iffy. I'm only a couple miles SE of the airport, but the elevation on the west side of the river is generally a little higher than where I am. The weather at the relay transmitter site has probably been pretty snowy the last few days and might be affecting things. Nice Easter weather in Idaho!

Also, ISP unit ID's are officer specific and not region specific, so you can't tell what region you're listening to by the ID#. A 5xx ID could be from any region- there are several 5xx officer IDs in both Region 5 and 6.

Dave

Sunshineandmonkeys

Premium Subscriber
Good to know Dave.....I was worried my new to y was broken or i really screwed up the programming!

Next time i come up I'll bring my car and the mobile antenna haha.

Thanks again for all the Info guys!

IdaScan

Premium Subscriber
Centracom dispatch consoles allow "latching" of the transmit function on multiple radio channels...

Click on the single site, i.e. Ketchum Baldy, and it'll key up just that repeater. Latch Ketchum, Valley All Call and Harrison, depress my PTT foot switch and I key up all 3 at once.

Twin Falls (R4) is a good example - hear a trooper on Ketchum Baldy but hear the dispatcher on all 3 repeaters...

This is fairly common in the more rural areas - in the Boise Metro area, the channels are typically not latched due the amount of normal traffic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.