Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
From The Indianapolis Star:

State Police to close Seymour post

By Vic Ryckaert
vic.ryckaert@indystar.com

The Indiana State Police will close the post in Seymour within the next few months, a spokesman said.

It's the first time on more than 30 years that a post has been shut down, 1st Sgt. Dave Bursten said.

"This is technology driven, efficiency driven," Bursten said. "It's making the best use of tax dollars."

The post's functions and responsibilities will be absorbed by the post in Versailles, Bursten said. The change will happen in about three to four months.

The Seymour post covers troopers in Bartholomew, Jennings and Jackson counties.

The troopers assigned to those counties will remain on their beats, Bursten said. Administrators and civilian workers will be reassigned.

"Nobody is losing a job over this," Bursten said.

IndyStar.com | Indianapolis news, community, business, sports, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Central Indiana.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Wow....that is unbelievable. I live here in Seymour (Jackson County). That'll be a major surprise for people in this town. Also, I am just now starting my first LIVE feed tonight from Seymour, IN. Come on over and take a listen here on RadioReference under "Live Audio" and click on Indiana and then click on Jackson County. Using my BCD396T. I'm listening to my own feed right now using Itunes as the player and all the Tag information is being displayed also so you can see ALL information such as unit ID, location and so forth.

jerk

It's one of the original posts, very old and landlocked, should have been done years ago.

But I still think the technology can and will fail them... dispatching from 20-40 miles away can create problems.

powerlineman

I have mixed feelings. CSX can control trains nation-wide from Jacksonville Fl, so ISP could make this work. The closing of posts removes ISP's presence to the public and sense of customer service. What technology changes have made this possible? The technology had always been there.

AK9R

Super Moderator
CSX can control trains nation-wide from Jacksonville Fl...
Actually, CSX has decentralized their dispatching. There are now dispatch centers in Nashville, Louisville, Indianapolis, Albany, Chicago, and a few other cities. Union Pacific might be a better example as all of their dispatching is done from Omaha.

The closing of posts removes ISP's presence to the public and sense of customer service.
I'm not sure it makes that much difference. The troopers will still be out patrolling their beats. Iin fact, I saw a trooper interacting with a member of the public just this evening on I-65 just north of Seymour. :wink:

What technology changes have made this possible?
Now that most ISP troopers have laptops in their cars, they can file reports electronically without having to go to a post. The only reason for going to a post is for a few face-to-face activities.

W9NES

If the troopers need to go to the post it is for Talking with Post Command on the desk or getting gas at the gas line.Most post across the state has a gas pump for the troopers to fill up there tank on the State Police Cars. or if The troopers cannot get to the post The have a State of Indiana gas card that will let them get gas fo the car at any gas station.Dist 52 has a pump along with Stout Field on the westside.Dist 13 Lowell has a gas pump at the post just to name a few locations.

jerk

I have mixed feelings. CSX can control trains nation-wide from Jacksonville Fl, so ISP could make this work. The closing of posts removes ISP's presence to the public and sense of customer service. What technology changes have made this possible? The technology had always been there.

The Safe-T system makes this possible, before that they were using 1950's technology, and the previous radios were from the early 80's, they had to cannibalize parts from other places just to keep it working. 42 MHZ low band, now new consoles, T-1 lines, computerized equipment.

ISP is already dispatching from Posts out of the area, the only downside is how to get a copy of a report easily. Most people that want to interact with ISP call for a Trooper to come to them or use the phone these days.

knightrider

I helped many a Trooper from that post in the 70's with radio questions. I worked for the "New" Radio Shack in the Mall. I was a Ham and had been experimenting in electronics for a while. The new guys would stop by, and ask how to do things without it being obvious on the outside of the car. One of the things I helped with, was to install an FM converter because they only had AM radio at the time. Also, how to be able to put a CB in so it was not real obvious. I always supervised, so as not to get myself or the store in trouble. Moved on, as many of them did. I ended up in Texas, and spent 22 years here as a Peace Officer. The electronics background helped out with that a lot. I guess I just hate to see history fade away...

powerlineman

The Safe-T system makes this possible, before that they were using 1950's technology, and the previous radios were from the early 80's, they had to cannibalize parts from other places just to keep it working. 42 MHZ low band, now new consoles, T-1 lines, computerized equipment.

ISP is already dispatching from Posts out of the area, the only downside is how to get a copy of a report easily. Most people that want to interact with ISP call for a Trooper to come to them or use the phone these days.

The Safe-T system has nothing to do with making it possible. They had T-1 lines and computers before Safe-T. They had a microwave system 30-40 years ago. Evansville post and Bloomington post had remote control of a 42MHz base at Edwardsport. This in not due to new technology. My point is that this was possible 30 years ago.

powerlineman

Actually, CSX has decentralized their dispatching. There are now dispatch centers in Nashville, Louisville, Indianapolis, Albany, Chicago, and a few other cities. Union Pacific might be a better example as all of their dispatching is done from Omaha.

I'm not sure it makes that much difference. The troopers will still be out patrolling their beats. Iin fact, I saw a trooper interacting with a member of the public just this evening on I-65 just north of Seymour. :wink:

Now that most ISP troopers have laptops in their cars, they can file reports electronically without having to go to a post. The only reason for going to a post is for a few face-to-face activities.

OK you're right.....lets close them all down......My point is that the Safe-T system has nothing to making this possible. They could have controlled every 42MHz base in the entire state from one location. Why didn't they close them in the 80's instead of building new ones?

djl998

How, pray tell, would they have filed paperwork without going to the post 30 years ago? There was no such thing as an in-car computer. It absolutely is new technology that makes this possible.

Or, if you really want to insist that this was possible 30 years ago, then we'll just say it's long overdue.

jerk

How, pray tell, would they have filed paperwork without going to the post 30 years ago? There was no such thing as an in-car computer. It absolutely is new technology that makes this possible.

Or, if you really want to insist that this was possible 30 years ago, then we'll just say it's long overdue.

Fax machine?
There was some experimentation a long time ago in other places, but not practical, cheap or reliable.

powerlineman

The postal system? My father is retired ISP....he would go for weeks without going to the post.

AK9R

Super Moderator
OK you're right.....lets close them all down.
I'm not advocating closing all of the ISP posts. The purpose of my post was to dispel the perception that troopers will be less accessible or effective after the post closes.

My father is retired ISP....he would go for weeks without going to the post.
Which kinda proves my point that the troopers don't need a post to be accessible or effective.

powerlineman

I'm not advocating closing all of the ISP posts. The purpose of my post was to dispel the perception that troopers will be less accessible or effective after the post closes.

Which kinda proves my point that the troopers don't need a post to be accessible or effective.

I agree...I just wish they would be honest and say its an economic thing. Ironically these old posts were built by the WPA during crappy economic times.....to stimulate the economy, I guess?

I didn't mean to be argumentative with this post. Your'e correct, they can and will be effective without a post.

garryd451

Pokagon, Michigan, half way between Niles and Dowa
Didn't they close alot of posts approx 30 years ago? I thinking they closed posts all over Indiana including South Bend and Chesterton. I live in extreme Southwestern Michigan but all our TV news comes out of South Bend/Elkhart TV stations. I remembering there was alot of TV coverage about this.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
Probably closer to 40 to 50 years ago, but yes. That would have been about the time that the Lowell post was created from the old Kentland and Schererville posts...and probably others. Chesterton maybe. I know the two for sure. I'm sure this happened in other areas of the state as well.

Didn't they close alot of posts approx 30 years ago? I thinking they closed posts all over Indiana including South Bend and Chesterton. I live in extreme Southwestern Michigan but all our TV news comes out of South Bend/Elkhart TV stations. I remembering there was alot of TV coverage about this.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I understand that the Seymour Police Department and the Jackson County Sheriffs Department are trying to work out a deal with the state so that the PD and SD can take over operation of the Seymour post as a "substation" for their agencies. Under the proposed deal, ISP troopers would still be able to use the facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.