ISP Speed Increase

dwh367

I have a Netgear CM 400 cable modem which has served me well over the years. It says that it's capable of 340 Mbps. My ISP recently upgraded our connection from 200 Mbps to 300 Mbps. I'm not seeing the increased speed. It's still hovering around 200 Mbps. They're saying I'm going to have to upgrade my modem. I'm saying it should still be handle to speed increase. Which one of us is right?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Depends on the modem. Older ones might not be capable of the higher speeds allowed by the ISP. Also, even if the ISP supports higher speeds you might have to pay more for it. If they say your speed should be at the 300 and your modem is still stuck at 200 you might still need to replace it as not all modem standards are supported by all ISP's

Try resetting the modem first, just unplug the power for a few minutes and plug it back in. It should reboot itself and after a few minutes when the service restores run a speed test. If you are still not getting the speed your ISP provides then it might be time to go to the ISP or computer store and replace the modem.

A few years ago when my ISP increased speeds they replaced my modem to accommodate it. At the time I was renting it from them for $4 a month, later I went to Best Buy and got a compatible one on sale for $59.95 and it paid for itself after a little over a year.

dwh367

Thanks Rich. I found the problem. My Netgear CM400 modem is an 8X4 channel. I was doing more research on this issue and saw that a Netgear CM700, which is a 32X8 channel, is only capable of 400 Mbps on my ISP. Therefore my old 8X4 modem isn't going to come anywhere close to 300 Mbps. I have a new modem ordered that should get my speed back up to what I'm paying for again.