ISPERN lingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago2210

Question regarding how I've heard ISPERN alerts end, "make you own case" and "no complaints to be singed how ever reasonable grounds for an investigative have been established" mean? Also what would be some examples of the investigative stop one? Thanks.

TangoBlue

Premium Subscriber
I have always wondered what "make your own case" actually means. What if they don't make a case?

N9JIG

Sheriff
"Make your own Case" means that the complainant/caller/original witness will not sign complaints but if an officer sees the offender committing the offense and has reasonable belief an offense was committed they can stop him. This was typically used for DUI or Reckless Driving complaints, sometimes for "Man with a gun" calls as well.

The other phrase was an expansion of the first, same reason but a more legally correct way of saying it. It probably came about during an accreditation review.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
In other words, if a police officer sees the vehicle in question drive right past him and is not committing a violation, it can drive right on its way. However, the officer can follow the vehicle, and the officer discovers it is weaving in and out of its lane, has a taillight burned out, or the license plates are expired, the officer can effect his/her discretion and follow the vehicle observing it for possible other “issues,” then take enforcement action.
Reminds me of my first day in the police academy July 1974. I had an instructor tell our class that criminals are generally lazy and stupid. They don’t necessarily rob banks in stolen cars. They use their own, forget to renew their license plates, have burned out bulbs, and drive like maniacs after committing their own “perfect crime(s).” Ha! They sometimes get caught.

jping

Make your own case is very simple - the officer must observe the violation before the vehicle can be stopped.

Type B Broadcasts, or Wanted Investigation, is a bit trickier. An example of this would be the initial call of a hit and run. The officer has not arrived, and therefore a complaint has not been signed, but based on the information provided by the caller, reasonable grounds to justify an investigative stop have been established.

Chicago2210

Make your own case is very simple - the officer must observe the violation before the vehicle can be stopped.

Type B Broadcasts, or Wanted Investigation, is a bit trickier. An example of this would be the initial call of a hit and run. The officer has not arrived, and therefore a complaint has not been signed, but based on the information provided by the caller, reasonable grounds to justify an investigative stop have been established.
Hit and Run would be a good example, would another good example be possible stolen vehicle or a possible kidnaping? Oh and I've actuality heard the wanted investigation one end as "complaints have not been singed, however reasonable grounds for an investigative stop have been established."

Status
Not open for further replies.