ISS Freq

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtp

well, i do live in 'flatland' Florida and there are no trees between 250 miles up and me.
and to see where they are,

QMAZE

I think I caught come chatter on SO-50 last night. The freq. programmed in to account for the doppler effect were silent but the main freq. all of sudden had acitvity and I started hearing a bunch of people calling out their call signs, it happened so fast though, like a 30 sec window from where I was standing, which wasn't very open. I could remember to how to set my squelch to zero and I was fumbling in the dark and then that's when the chatter began.

QMAZE

I am new to monitoring the ISS, I noticed this.....Would I need to Program the other freqs 10khz up and 10khz down from the original frequency?

• Downlink 437.800MHz FM; Doppler +-10KHz
I entered the doppler effect freq. and I could scan them but I just manually switch between them.

N4DJC

I think I caught come chatter on SO-50 last night. The freq. programmed in to account for the doppler effect were silent but the main freq. all of sudden had acitvity and I started hearing a bunch of people calling out their call signs, it happened so fast though, like a 30 sec window from where I was standing, which wasn't very open. I could remember to how to set my squelch to zero and I was fumbling in the dark and then that's when the chatter began.

On SO-50, it's just exchanging callsign and grid square, then move on to the next station. The linear satellites are much different, there's enough bandwidth to accommodate multiple QSO's at once.

DeaconHarry16

Premium Subscriber
I have heard them several times recently using Uniden Homepatrol on 437.8 using stock antenna.
Daytime passes, several 2-way contacts
Pretty cool

fires999

Evening,
Just for your info ISS made a couple of passes over the UK this evening ( I'm about 30 miles N of London)...using an app on my phone called " ISS LIVE NOW" and the cheapest, old Realistic 16 channel scanner from the 1990's....simply had 437.800mhz and clearly hearing contacts via the ISS for about 5 mins , had to go up/down 5khz for the doppler affect...handheld scanner using rubber duck antenna in the garden.

Patience , good timing, have the squelch open at first (you can easily close it up during the best audio you can get)
Hope that helps,,,the ISS App was free in the Playstore for Android if that helps ?

K ( East of England)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have not made a phone QSO yet via the new ISS equipment. Someone replied with my callsign, but his signal faded, or was stepped on before I could hear his callsign and grid. An early AM pass when most operators are sleeping may be fruitful, but I like sleeping too.

Hearing the ISS repeater is not a problem. Getting through when many others are trying at the same time is the real challenge. Still, I have only tried a few times.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Well, I had zero QSO's since the new equipment was installed on the ISS and I just snagged two QSO's 30 minutes ago on the last pass. One operator was about 110 miles away in California and the other around 750 miles away in Washington.

Last edited:

N4DJC

Well, I had zero QSO's since the new equipment was installed on the ISS and I just snagged two QSO's 30 minutes ago on the last pass. One operator was about 110 miles away in California and the other around 750 miles away in Washington.

The new normal, there’s a bunch of folks running 25 to 50 watts capturing the repeater. Try AO-27 it’s a good bird. You should be good on passes in the west, east coast is a zoo night or day. Looks like ISS repeater is on voice mode until after Field Day, APRS mode early July I guess.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The ISS radios are new and shiny, so they're still swamped ;) I would not have normally attempted two contacts on an ISS pass due to the traffic, but the second operator called me right after my QSO and had a strong signal into the repeater. After having zero then two, I had another contact yesterday. I'm going lay off until Field Day, but I doubt I will make a contact that day even if the pass is hugging the west coast. As you noted it is probably flooded with 25, 50 or more watts. I too read about the ISS continuing with phone until after Field Day.

AO-27 has a nice footprint at its orbital elevation. As for FM satellites, I have not made a contact via PO-101 Diwata-2 as I have not tried yet. Instead, I need to work the SSB satellites where there's plenty of room. A few years back I heard a guy in Hawaii working SSB on one with zero replies. I was testing a receiver at the time, so I could not reply. I sent him an email though advising of my setup and his signal quality. We chatted a bit via email about the birds. The main reason why I sent that email was the footprint of that particular satellite is/was just enough to cover part of Hawaii and California as it passed between us. Even a confirmation of RX when it split the coverage is something I would have liked to received if I was calling.

Easy passes are easy, difficult is rewarding. That is probably why I enjoy QRP as well.

The new normal, there’s a bunch of folks running 25 to 50 watts capturing the repeater. Try AO-27 it’s a good bird. You should be good on passes in the west, east coast is a zoo night or day. Looks like ISS repeater is on voice mode until after Field Day, APRS mode early July I guess.

N4DJC

Any of them can be worked with 5 watts and an Arrow or Elk antenna. QRM is the issue, dozens of folks trying to work them on radios that are half duplex (can’t hear their downlink) stepping on others. Best to call the strongest signal instead of dropping your call. Again, if you can’t hear your downlink you’re not getting in.

RS-44 is a great bird for potential DX on the east coast, not sure about the west coast though. You’ll hear people calling CQ with no answer so the potential is there. From what I’ve seen and read, many use two 817’s to work the linear birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.