ISS on 145.800

Status
Not open for further replies.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
A scanner burst into life with NA1SS on 145.800 very strong talking to a school in Queensland, Australia.

According to their schedule:

Avoca State School, Bundaberg, QLD, Australia, direct via VK4BW
The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be NA1SS
The downlink frequency is presently scheduled to be 145.800 MHz
The latest information on the operation mode can be found at Current Status of ISS Stations
The scheduled astronaut is Mike Hopkins KF5LJG
Contact is go for: Thu 2021-03-11 07:56:51 UTC 60 deg

N4DJC

I heard an astronaut several months ago using the NA1SS call on the new repeater. Missed him of course. Maybe they will get the cable fixed during the EVA on the 13th.

ind224

Just had an SSTV transmission over Indy signal was loud and strong image was terrible. Maybe another pass...

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The schedule notes the SSTV to be turned off by now, but I figure they may have left it on.

I did not hear it on the last pass, but it looks like I was not in the foot print. Another pass in about 30 minutes and then a better one 90 minutes later. @ind224 this next pass should be near over head for you.
Just had an SSTV transmission over Indy signal was loud and strong image was terrible. Maybe another pass...

ind224

That "next pass" yesterday was silent just like right now. The ARISS page seems to contradict what was happening as another source I found said there was an SSTV event for Russia scheduled 9-10th. Here is the result of the partial pass yesterday...great audio but something wonky.ISS SSTV 10 JUN 2021.jpg

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that SSTV event was over as of my post yesterday. That ARISS page was accurate and the event ended on time (UTC). During that "next pass" the voice repeater was definitely active again (437.800), so the APRS would have been off. They stuck to the schedule.

N4DJC

Yeah, that SSTV event was over as of my post yesterday. That ARISS page was accurate and the event ended on time (UTC). During that "next pass" the voice repeater was definitely active again (437.800), so the APRS would have been off. They stuck to the schedule.

As info...the Columbus Module voice/APRS repeater was not involved in the SSTV event. The Russian Service Module handles all of the Russian SSTV events. They only turn both modules off for an EVA.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I left the volume of one of my scanners set too high from testing yesterday and woke up to an earful of PD120 SSTV transmission this morning. It looks like this event is going from June 21-26. Dial up 145.800 MHz and have a listen/record/decode when overhead.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I just managed to snag an image from the ISS during a decent 10 minute pass.. There were two images sent during that time.

Problem was, most of the first image was lost because the transmission began before the ISS came over the horizon. The second image faded out near the the end because the ISS dropped below the horizon before the whole image was sent.. But I'm happy to say that at least I got one fairly decent image even though it was cut off a bit at the bottom.

Was using an IC-9700 connected to my computer running MMTV SSTV software. The antenna is a Comet GP-95 (which is far from the best choice as it's a gain antenna that favors the horizon).

Edit.. A bit more info....

As vagrant points out in his post above, the ISS will be sending SSTV images up until the 26th of June 2021
You can determine when it passes over you at this site --> AMSAT - AMSAT Online Satellite Pass Predictions

ISS.jpg

Last edited:

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
And... I waited for another pass and got a full image. The whole transmission took place with the bird in view. It's a little noisy, but it's all there. (Out of interest, the ISS was over Montana as I decoded this).

ISS2.jpg

Niiccoo2

I have an old Uniden beancat and I was wondering if I can hear the ISS with it (I am new to scanning)

Status
Not open for further replies.