ISS suit freqs and modes

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
That would be an amazing catch.
I always tried with the shuttle EVA's on the 200 Mhz range channels, They never flew overhead at a time when I could listen, throw in the short time they were overhead made it near impossible.
I have doubts about using a yagi, might be a little to narrow? I have heard the ISS amateur repeater a number of times with just a omni directional antenna.

Have you seen this site?

Last edited:

ind224

I was looking at the 200 and 400 stuff as well. It has been quite a while since an EVA happened and I was not at work and it made a good North American pass. Very scratchy but you can tell it's them. I have an Icom 2200H that I'm going to use for VHF scanning and perhaps it will allow the exact freq input and SDR even better.
I looked at the link you provided and I had not been there before, thanks. Today was in FM not AM.

ind224

Thanks VK, I have it programmed into my 780. Your example is much more what I expected. It should sound just as a good 2m pass.

ind224

If anyone is interested I have tuned the remote station @ IK2CHZ in Italy to get some Russian space walk comms. Next pass over Italy is in a bit less than 90 min. Via globaltuners.com

RFI-EMI-GUY

I've heard Russian language suit comms on 130.167 FM occasionally, just on a discone & BC780XLT.

It rounds the frequency to 130.165.

One example:
Cool! I remember long time ago listening to Space Shuttle EVA at 200 MHz and hearing ECG telemetry (analog) subcarrier along with voice.

ind224

ISS EVA 82 (US) has begun and it looks like perhaps two passes may allow direct from suits comms in English to North America.
Heavens Above indicates 1136 AM EST first pass but only 12 degrees to my location. (10 degrees has worked for 437.8 down.)
Pass 2 13:11 EST and 72* so it should be a great pass.
130.167 FM but 130.165 worked for me last time if your scanner won't take the odd frequency. Good luck!!

dickie757

Wired
ISS EVA 82 (US) has begun and it looks like perhaps two passes may allow direct from suits comms in English to North America.
Heavens Above indicates 1136 AM EST first pass but only 12 degrees to my location. (10 degrees has worked for 437.8 down.)
Pass 2 13:11 EST and 72* so it should be a great pass.
130.167 FM but 130.165 worked for me last time if your scanner won't take the odd frequency. Good luck!!
no luck from FM16tu. maybe saw some telemetry packets

n2nov

• Space to Space Communications System (SSCS) Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) radio
• Mounted in Avionics Rack #1 in the U.S. Laboratory Module of the ISS
• Provides voice communications between the ISS and EVA astronauts. Receives suit status and biomedical signals from the EMU
• Provides a voice and telemetry/command link with the Orbiter
• Completely controlled by the Command and Control Multiplexer/Demiltiplexer (C&CMDM) on the ISS
• Provides decryption of command link from the Orbiter to the ISS at one 64 word command/second
• Provides a telemetry link from the ISS to the Orbiter
• Command and control of the SSSR
• ISS provided mechanical interface - ‘6B’ box design
• Designed at JSC by a team of engineers from the Avionic Systems Division and Lockheed-Martin
• Manufactured by Litton Amecom Space Systems Operations
• First flight scheduled for May 1999 on STS 98 (ISS assembly flight 5A)
• Each radio can operate at either 414.2 MHz or 417.1 MHz
• Two power modes
• Low power: 0.25 Watts (+24dBm) resulting in an operational range of 80 meters
• High power: 5.0 Watts (+37 dBm) resulting in an operational range of up to 7 km along the Orbiter/ISS rendevous trajectory
• 6 antenna ports: 4 External Antennas, IAA, and Airlock Antenna
• Operational from 20 °F to 120 °F while sitting on a cold plate
• Frequency shift keying modulation with a burst rate of 695 kbps
• Intermediate frequency of 21.4 MHz
• Bit Error Rate performance of 1x10 -5 when the RF input is -86.5 dBm
• Maximum operational power draw from the ISS of 72 Watts in high power mode
• Actual dimensions of 13.25”x18.6”x9.15”
• Weight is under 40 pounds

dickie757

Wired
So, I guess we will still have to search the spectrum around 414.2 or 417.1 to see if we can determine if voice is analog or digital, and then if digital, the mode. Next EVA is 19Dec. I hope there is a pass or two after 3pm. I watched the livestream after I didn't pick up any transmissions on the Orlan suit freq. The voice comms sounded digital to me, but very high quality, none of that P25 or DMR low bandwidth utility comms.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber

1.4MHz bandwidth.

I found out what the USA EVA suit is called....EMU...... Extravehicular Mobility Unit
With that kind of bandwidth, would it be worth putting different frequencies in to adjust for Doppler shift, like the ham satellite people do?

Thanks
Joel