ISS suit freqs and modes

dickie757

Wired
Oh boy, I forgot about Doppler. We'll be lucky just to get 25kHz worth of FM voice dialed in.....

What's the bandwidth required for FSK at 695kbps? Take that, and subtract it from 1.4MHz, and that will be the amount of spectrum we will have to search to determine if the voice is analog or digital. If it is digital, based on my limited knowledge, I guess it will be a 60kHz wide signal, based on the quality I heard on the live stream.

Edit...I'm thinking strictly in the use of SDRs and looking at the waterfall. Unless some one can chime in, we are on a scavenger hunt.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It sounds from the description that the mode is digital and perhaps encrypted. You can bet that there is biomedical telemetry and space suit telemetry in that data stream .
Ground control to Major Tom, your O2 levels are getting low and your CO2 levels are rising.
Open the damn pod bay door HAL!

ind224

Did you see that an Orlan suit EVA is scheduled for the 15th? And of course, US eva on 19th.
Thanks for the reminder; I'm not a math guy so I tried to check heavens-above for the predictions and the site is down 2 days now . If it's a good pass, I'll be listening and recording.

ind224

I'm mode limited, no SDR here but will be watching the walk on NASA TV via good old C band.
Tomorrow's do look like great passes hopefully they save some of that for Russian EVA's 56 57 58.
Supposed to be late Feb not sure why I can't find a finite time and date for them.
One source had both 56 and 57 listed as the 27th at 7P and 58 on Feb 31st lol.

ind224

Can a commercial big bux TDMA analyzer or test set like a Rhonde Swartz or Agilent work to confirm mode rates etc?

ind224

Ty very much!! I had just relayed that info to a friend that is a space nut but she just watches events on NASA TV. The 18 April walk has an unusual ~ 0100 EST start time. Checking Heavens Above it looks like the stars are going to be indeed aligned and a near 0400 EST pass puts them at 88* for my location 46205. Been a long time coming I think these walks were delayed from Feb.

ind224

Just to be clear 28 April is a US event and the Russian postponed is into May ???; the 4 May event already scheduled might be impacted as well.