• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Issue Programming BTech DMR 6X2 Pro

Engine79-7

Feed Provider
Literally just purchased this radio. I like the features offered and I like the options the software gives. I have downloaded the CPS and ALL drivers for this cable. The radio seems to acknowledge the download and everything says it acknowledges and has been completed. But when the radio refreshes, it says "Program error, Please Initialize the Radio!" makes me hit confirm, then factory resets the radio. Does anyone have any guidance to this?

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Sounds like the codeplug you're uploading to the radio isn't compatible. The firmware version installed in the radio, the CPS version software you use, and most critically the codeplug produced must all match in version number.
Using a codeplug that was initially created with a CPS of the wrong version won't match - and in some cases the radio will reject it (as it appears in your case) or in other cases more subtle unwanted effects can occur like PTT lag, random rebooting, features not working etc.

Best to learn how to build your own codeplug - that way you can have the radio set up exactly how you want it, not how someone else wanted it.

bharvey2

Try writing a minimal codeplug with one or two channels, talkgroups and such and see if you can upload that successfully. the firmware/CPS mismatch mentioned above could very well be the problem.

Engine79-7

Feed Provider
So I read the radio, then started inserting frequencies then reuploading in small increments. This seemed to work. This is my own codeplug. Hopefully, this works. Thank you all for the feedback!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
My experience finding on-line code plugs has not been great. As mentioned above, the version used to create the code plug must agree with the radio firmware. DMR CPS varies from radio to radio brand, and using another code plug from the same model radio to check formatting can be helpful when the code plug itself is not usuable.

bharvey2

Radios can get really picky about firmware/CPS mismatches and the inability to upload is just one possibility. I had an issue a while back with a new radio and a minor mismatch that allowed the codeplug to be downloaded to the radio just fine. However, the appeared to be malfunctioning. Once I got the firmware/CPS issues sorted out, the radio worked fine. - Lesson learned.

K2ERI

would anyone know if i can use a codeplug from the 6x2 base model into a pro model?

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
would anyone know if i can use a codeplug from the 6x2 base model into a pro model?
Yes. You would need to import it into the CPS that matches the receiving radio's firmware. Codeplugs from the AnyTone 868 and 878 series are compatible in the same manner.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
I know I'm a little late to the party. But I just tried to program one of my buddies radios. I upgraded the firmware, the icon firmware and wrote a brand new codeplug using the most recent release.

No matter what I do it will not take it. Did he get lucky and get a dud? Or did I mess something up here? I even tried programming a blank codeplug with 1 channel in it and it wouldn't take.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
I know I'm a little late to the party. But I just tried to program one of my buddies radios. I upgraded the firmware, the icon firmware and wrote a brand new codeplug using the most recent release.

No matter what I do it will not take it. Did he get lucky and get a dud? Or did I mess something up here? I even tried programming a blank codeplug with 1 channel in it and it wouldn't take.
BTECH didn't send the correct programming software with the firmware package. K =/= J

Engine79-7

Feed Provider

Read the radio, build your code plug once it is read then upload

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
This radio has been driving me bonkers. While I’d prefer to use the RT Systems software that’s a bit sexier, the data that it writes to the radio is often a mess (wrong channels in scan lists and little annoyances like that). I don’t have that issue with the CPS from BTECH, but that software is sooooo slow and clunky.

Programming has definitely been the sore spot with this radio. I wish someone would build a CPS for this radio that just works.

I’m thinking about doing all of the codeplug programming in the RT software, exporting that data and importing it to the BTECH software, then writing to the radio from there. Maybe that’s the right combination. ??

This has been very frustrating. ):

W1SPS

Hey all, does anyone have a code plug for a 6x2 for anywhere in Connecticut? I've had this radio for 2 years and barely use it. I can get the local analog repeater but still can't get anything digital to connect. Also for some reason Parrot breaks up on receive. I really need something to follow.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, does anyone have a code plug for a 6x2 for anywhere in Connecticut? I've had this radio for 2 years and barely use it. I can get the local analog repeater but still can't get anything digital to connect. Also for some reason Parrot breaks up on receive. I really need something to follow.
On the CT ARES page there are basic code plugs for all the repeaters. Export it as an excel file and then load what you want into your code plug!

W1SPS

On the CT ARES page there are basic code plugs for all the repeaters. Export it as an excel file and then load what you want into your code plug!
I will check that out, thanks. I may just get the new 6x2 pro, not only does it have upgrades but it can import codeplugs from anytone radios.