Issue Scanning going from 396xt to bcd436 Any Help? NE Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwardcode87

Hey all. Been a long time since i have posted. Well here a while back i upgraded to a new laptop unfortunately the charger port for my laptop is the same for 396xt and it was only a matter of time. Sure enough i was in the truck driving and went to plug my radio in and accidentally plugged 12v laptop charger to radio. Started smoking immediately. Super fun way to blow a few hundred bucks. So i went ahead and upgraded to the 436. I have been using it for awhile but cant seem to figure out a few issues.

Main question/Problem. My old 396xt picked up all Delaware country police/fire/ems no issue. I had Grove,Jay local pd,ems and fire no problem. New 436 does not pick any of that up. Its weird bc i can hear next county over Ottawa and GRDA just fine. I'm pretty novice and can usually fiddle with it and get stuff working but cant seem to figure it out. Any help there would be awesome. Before when i had it working on my 396 it was a Motorola type 2 zone i believe. And it looks like its now on OKWIN project 25 phase 1. Which my 436 can pick up. Only thing i have done different with 436 is use the sentinel software to program. I was using ProScan before. My membership to RR has run out or i would just try that. If i need to pay up to RR to use pro scan with RR database i will do that just figured i would ask first. I just updated HPDB in sentinel and flashed newest Firmware to 436 and still not picking up.

Next question is anyone else have any feedback on what Paid Software that's ideal for the 436. I just got the trial version on the Butel software. Sentinel seems to work pretty good it just does not have a virtual control option. That is really the only thing i would like to have. What is everyone else running? I know you have to use sentinel to do firmware updates to not risk bricking device.

Random question. There used to be a local radio meetup up at the Mazzios up in grove on i believe Thursday night. Pretty sure i figured out about it here on RR but cant remember the user that was running the group. Everything now seems to be on FB and i dont use that. Any info on that?

My apologizes for such a long winded post. Just figured be thorough. I will keep searching on here to try and answer my own questions and update the post for any one else that may have same issue in future.

Any info would be great and i appreciate your time.

Thanks, Ed

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey all. Been a long time since i have posted. Well here a while back i upgraded to a new laptop unfortunately the charger port for my laptop is the same for 396xt and it was only a matter of time. Sure enough i was in the truck driving and went to plug my radio in and accidentally plugged 12v laptop charger to radio. Started smoking immediately. Super fun way to blow a few hundred bucks. So i went ahead and upgraded to the 436. I have been using it for awhile but cant seem to figure out a few issues.

Main question/Problem. My old 396xt picked up all Delaware country police/fire/ems no issue. I had Grove,Jay local pd,ems and fire no problem. New 436 does not pick any of that up. Its weird bc i can hear next county over Ottawa and GRDA just fine. I'm pretty novice and can usually fiddle with it and get stuff working but cant seem to figure it out. Any help there would be awesome. Before when i had it working on my 396 it was a Motorola type 2 zone i believe. And it looks like its now on OKWIN project 25 phase 1. Which my 436 can pick up. Only thing i have done different with 436 is use the sentinel software to program. I was using ProScan before. My membership to RR has run out or i would just try that. If i need to pay up to RR to use pro scan with RR database i will do that just figured i would ask first. I just updated HPDB in sentinel and flashed newest Firmware to 436 and still not picking up.

Next question is anyone else have any feedback on what Paid Software that's ideal for the 436. I just got the trial version on the Butel software. Sentinel seems to work pretty good it just does not have a virtual control option. That is really the only thing i would like to have. What is everyone else running? I know you have to use sentinel to do firmware updates to not risk bricking device.

Random question. There used to be a local radio meetup up at the Mazzios up in grove on i believe Thursday night. Pretty sure i figured out about it here on RR but cant remember the user that was running the group. Everything now seems to be on FB and i dont use that. Any info on that?

My apologizes for such a long winded post. Just figured be thorough. I will keep searching on here to try and answer my own questions and update the post for any one else that may have same issue in future.

Any info would be great and i appreciate your time.

Thanks, Ed
Were you using ProScan during it's free trial period? Or had you actually purchased it. ProScan can program your 396XT as well as your 436HP, plus a large number of other scanners. ProScan also includes logging & virtual control.

ARC-536, which is the version that supports the 436HP, 536HP, SDS100, and SDS200, does not support any other Uniden scanner models. For the ARC software, if you want virtual control & logging capability, you have to go with the Pro version, which is about $70. ProScan, at $50, does everything that the ARC Pro Version does, for twenty bucks less than ARC-536Pro. I prefer the ProScan software, since I have quite a few Uniden scanners, from the original 396T, BR330T, 396XT, as well as the x36HP & SDS series scanners. Do you have a copy of a ProScan file, previously used to program your 396XT? If so, ProScan can import the file & convert it to use with your 436HP. If you renew your Premium Subscription, and still have ProScan, you can simply use the software to import only what you want to hear.

Since you are hearing some of the neighboring counties, but not your own (Delaware), that indicates that the scanner's receiver is not at fault, so it's likely to be an issue with your programming. For the database scanners, such as the 436HP, among others, several factors can cause you to miss transmissions. The most common one is service types not enabled. When shipped, the only active service types are Dispatch for Public Safety: Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, & Multi-Dispatch. You also need to enable the Tac and Talk service types, i.e. Law Talk, Fire Tac, EMS Tac, etc.

If you are using location control, but manually created & added systems and departments, you need to manually enter location information for Sites & Departments. If left blank, the location is treated as zero degrees for both latitude & longitude, which is in the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Africa, well out of any range setting you could use. (Appending systems, from the main database, also carries over your location details. But appending OKWIN would append all the sites on the system, not just the ones you want,)

If you want, export your Favorites list in Sentinel into an *.hpe file (that is under the drop down File menu in Sentinel). Save it to a place on your PC where you can easily find it again.
Find the exported file, <right><click> on it & select 'Send To' from the pop-up menu.
That pops out a smaller menu. Choose 'Send to Compressed (zipped) folder. That will create a zipped file that you can attach to a post, where any number of us can take a look for something missing or that needs correction.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
This is where so many people get lost on the newer radios, Sentinel Software is tough to learn quick. So many toggles that need to be set correctly to get things to work. I am using ARC536 as well to help me get what I want. As mentioned the Proscan will do both radios.

Tulsey

Premium Subscriber
Edward: If you haven't pitched your old 396xt, I would like to have it for parts. Thanks Tulsey . FYI I have had some issues with programming the desk, 536 version of the scanner you bought. Good hint was made by Hiegtx on turning on the Tac and Talk services, It helped mine pick up better.

Edwardcode87

hiegtx thanks for detailed reply. I have been just scanning by zip . I figured that might be issue. Working on building a talk group and sites atm. Solid piece of info with the location adding i have always left blank. Much appreciated. I found the service type already and have that set. Tulsey i still have the 396 my buddy said he could pull it apart and fix. If he cant your more then welcome to the parts .

Status
Not open for further replies.