Issue Scanning Sumter County SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycleSycho

CycleSycho

Database error (no idea where to submit)

;) Been using my RS PRO-668 for a few now and after looking to the database for information on what has been updated, I found ( Sumter County, South Carolina (SC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference ) this page (Sumter County South Carolina) showed the local Sheriffs Dept listed in 'Law Talk'. Playing with my radio, I decided to program 'Law Talk' into it, and for 6 hours never heard a peep from the Sumter County Sheriffs Dept. I then went back to 'Law Dispatch' (was listening many weeks here) and immediately it became active for the Sheriffs Dept. Tried for a few to locate and find someone who can check/correct this but settled on this forum. ;)

:) If this post is in the wrong place, PLEASE MOVE IT to the correct place with notification of any results found back to me? Thanks very much! :)

kma371

QRT
;) Been using my RS PRO-668 for a few now and after looking to the database for information on what has been updated, I found ( Sumter County, South Carolina (SC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference ) this page (Sumter County South Carolina) showed the local Sheriffs Dept listed in 'Law Talk'. Playing with my radio, I decided to program 'Law Talk' into it, and for 6 hours never heard a peep from the Sumter County Sheriffs Dept. I then went back to 'Law Dispatch' (was listening many weeks here) and immediately it became active for the Sheriffs Dept. Tried for a few to locate and find someone who can check/correct this but settled on this forum. ;)

:) If this post is in the wrong place, PLEASE MOVE IT to the correct place with notification of any results found back to me? Thanks very much! :)

at the top of the page there are a bunch of gray tabs. second from the right there is one that says "submit" you can use that to submit new information or correct existing information.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
DELETED.... Still trying to figure out how anything about an freq changes by just the tag? Other than the freq is wrong for that license.
Actual freq would be 155.6700 not the 155.5950 shown.... And it is for an RM not just an M..... Maybe that is what he was talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
The tag matters not.... They use the Palmetto P25 TRS not the VHF one listed there.. Not to mention that freq is wrong for the license listed.... On the Palmetto P25 there is no Law Talk TG for Sumter. So you would not hear anything for talk which would just be car to car type stuff. All I can find is the Dispatch TG, and an Tac TG which is Encrypted. I think the issue is your not understanding how your scanner works properly as for programming it and downloading from the DB to it.

CycleSycho

The tag matters not.... They use the Palmetto P25 TRS not the VHF one listed there.. Not to mention that freq is wrong for the license listed.... On the Palmetto P25 there is no Law Talk TG for Sumter. So you would not hear anything for talk which would just be car to car type stuff. All I can find is the Dispatch TG, and an Tac TG which is Encrypted. I think the issue is your not understanding how your scanner works properly as for programming it and downloading from the DB to it.

;) Hi, and thank you for addressing my concern. First, I do not know enough to 'program' my 668 BUT with that said, I use the simple zip code/custom prompts to set up mine (Sheriffs Dept ONLY jurisdictional LE agency in my area). I originally 'checked' Law Dispatch in the on-screen prompts (ON THE SCANNER), and listened avidly. I just recently saw the referenced page on the website ( Sumter County, South Carolina (SC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference ), with the specific line on that page ( 155.59500 KVM313 M 186.2 PL SumterCo SD Sumter Co. SD FM Law Talk ), listing the 'TAG' as 'Law Talk'. Not being the smartest raisen in the box, I then 'programmed' 'Law Talk' into my scanner (not in the software) and it never hit a call. So, in hopes of helping (if that is the correct term) anyong in the future, I tried best I could to point out the 'TAG' column was wrong. Maybe the other 'possible' errors that were pointed out in the replies, can maybe be 'corrected'? It is and was my only concern (to help), not 'confuse'. I simply use the scanner to listen (until I get much more educated, of course) to the Sumter County Sheriffs Dept (local jurisdictional LE agency for my home/area). I hope this response is more clear? At least until I become more educated in what I am doing, as noted... ;)

CycleSycho

at the top of the page there are a bunch of gray tabs. second from the right there is one that says "submit" you can use that to submit new information or correct existing information.

DELETED.... Still trying to figure out how anything about an freq changes by just the tag? Other than the freq is wrong for that license.
Actual freq would be 155.6700 not the 155.5950 shown.... And it is for an RM not just an M..... Maybe that is what he was talking about?

:) Thanks guys, I hope the 'more clear' post I just replied to on this forum post ( http://forums.radioreference.com/so...-sumter-frequencies-scramble.html#post2658743 ) better explained what I meant. If not, then maybe I am just too green to help others find and correct at least the error I found on the page database? Thanks for trying to understand my original post, I thought it was clear enough until I read some of the replies. Is there sufficient information to 'fix' the listed information in the 'TAG' column (as well as the other mentioned errors)? :)

:) kma371, I saw the grey tabs, tried the 'admin' tab and was denied. Rather than keep being 'denied' and locking myself out, I thought I would just post in the forum. Sorry. :)

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Moved to Radio Shack forum as this is a scanner programming issue not a database issue.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Which he is mistaken. He is an new one and doesn't understand his scanner much less our db

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Well hes saying the tag in the database is incorrectly listed as "law talk" and should be listed as "law dispatch"

He believes the tag should be changed based on what he's hearing when he selects different tags on his scanner.

If you take the time to look at Sumter County SO, you'll see a VHF frequency tagged with Law Talk and a note at the top of the Category that explains that the SO uses the Palmetto P25 system for its primary communications. On that system is a talkgroup for the SO labelled dispatch and tagged Law Dispatch.

So, my guess is that with the Law Dispatch tag selected, he's scanning the primary SO channel on the Palmetto system. When he changes to Law Talk, he is only scanning a seldom used car to car channel. CycleSycho can correct me if I've misunderstood something.

So, my understanding of this whole issue is that this is not a database issue. It's a user education issue.

BTW, I've merged the two threads which describe the issue and have placed the resultant thread in the South Carolina forum.

If you can explain how this is still a database issue then I'll move it back.

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Sumter Co SO moved from a VHF repeater system to their own 800MHz analog trunked system well over a decade ago, and then they moved again recently to their own site on the Palmetto P25 system. It's common for agencies to maintain FCC licenses for old radio systems long after they've been deprecated from common use by changing to a new radio system. Why? They might maintain some VHF radios to use during special events. Or during failures of their current radio system. Or for occasional "off network" communication. I suspect that's the case here.

We know that Sumter County uses the Palmetto P25 system as their primary, day-to-day communication system. Most if not all of their communications will be on their dispatch talkgroup and their alternate talkgroup (which is encrypted). There are likely other as-yet-unidentified talkgroups, some in the clear and some encrypted, in use as well. It's likely that they'll never use VHF again ever, but they might.

Most scanner hobbyists will choose to keep that still-licensed VHF frequency in their scan list, on the off chance that it gets used at some point. It does no harm to scan it, used or not, other than contributing to the slight delay as the scanner makes its way through all of the active objects. If you determine that the channel is not in use, simply delete it, or lock it out.

But from the database standpoint, I think we'll maintain the listing (assuming it's listed accurately) until someone with intimate knowledge of Sumter County's radio system says it's never to be used again. If you monitor it for months and never hear a peep, make a submission to the database for it to be marked as "Deprecated". Then it will still be listed for reference on the webpage but it will not be included in the automatic downloads to various scanner models that support them.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Actually Brian it won't be listed long after its deprecated. Conventional is to be deleted ASAP after being marked deprecated. We all have been slack on clearing those out.

CycleSycho

He believes the tag should be changed based on what he's hearing when he selects different tags on his scanner.

If you take the time to look at Sumter County SO, you'll see a VHF frequency tagged with Law Talk and a note at the top of the Category that explains that the SO uses the Palmetto P25 system for its primary communications. On that system is a talkgroup for the SO labelled dispatch and tagged Law Dispatch.

So, my guess is that with the Law Dispatch tag selected, he's scanning the primary SO channel on the Palmetto system. When he changes to Law Talk, he is only scanning a seldom used car to car channel. CycleSycho can correct me if I've misunderstood something.

So, my understanding of this whole issue is that this is not a database issue. It's a user education issue.

BTW, I've merged the two threads which describe the issue and have placed the resultant thread in the South Carolina forum.

If you can explain how this is still a database issue then I'll move it back.

Thanks Mike, again, seeing the replies, This may be a webpage listing error and not a database error?

The Sumter County Sheriffs Dept is not being heard on 'Law Talk', it is heard on 'Law Dispatch'. Maybe it is not a database issue but a webpage listing issue? Seeing the replies, this makes sense.

I program my 668 from the radio directly (Menu/Main Menu/Select Place/By Zip Code/29xxx/Custom Types/Law Dispatch ), I get my local Sheriffs Dept main channel (not the encrypted one of course). I saw this webpage recently ( Sumter County, South Carolina (SC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference ) listing the Sheriffs Dept 'TAG' as 'Law Talk'. Since that distinction is listed as one of the settings during direct zip code programming, it confused me. I programed 'Law Talk' (like I had programmed Law Dispatch, on the radio), and nothing opened up. I went bact to 'Law Dispatch' (again directly on the radio through its prompts), and immediately I was back to hearing the traffic.

Which he is mistaken. He is an new one and doesn't understand his scanner much less our db

milf, I guess the webpage confused me, and my terminology is whacked. Database/webpage reference mistake, sorry. Now, will someone correct the webpage reference, or are you telling me the webpage will not be corrected? If not, can anyone explain in most simple terminology why the webpage lists the Sumter County Sheriffs Dept as being on 'Law Talk' (when I hear nothing on it when programmed into my radio). While we are at it, one of the posts (maybe more) did point out some other 'error(s)'. Since I know not what I am talking about, I'll let that person restate their perception of that 'misunderstanding'. Hope I didn't confuse too much, I am rather far behind on the learning curve (trying to catch up).

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
No, this is not a database issue and it is not a website issue. As far as I can tell, it's a user education issue.

Hopefully I understand the situation correctly and with guidance from the others, we can educate you.

First of all, do you realise that selecting Law Dispatch and Law Talk selects different frequencies in *your* scanner?

When you select Law Talk only, you are listening to a seldom used VHF car to car channel and not the regular dispatch channel on the Palmetto P25 system.

When you select Law Dispatch, you are no longer listening to that car to car channel and now you're listening to the main dispatch channel.

That's why you are hearing more with Law Dispatch than with Law Talk.

It's got nothing to do with how things are tagged in the Database and it has nothing to do with the website.

If you've got a manual, I suggest you read it and try to understand how selecting different tags with your scanner works.

The best bet would be to select Law Dispatch and Law Talk.

CycleSycho

You; No, this is not a database issue and it is not a website issue. As far as I can tell, it's a user education issue.

Me; Glad to hear, it is why I am here.

You; Hopefully I understand the situation correctly and with guidance from the others, we can educate you.

Me; Yeah, always willing to learn!

You; First of all, do you realise that selecting Law Dispatch and Law Talk selects different frequencies in *your* scanner?

Me; *my* scanner, as opposed to anyone elses scanner? No one yet has explained why the website says the Sumter South Carolina Sheriffs Dept is on 'Law Talk', and my selection of this does not realize it as a working selection. I did not put that on the webpage, 'Law Talk' (when selected in my scanner) DOES NOT open the Sheriffs Dept. traffic.

You; When you select Law Talk only, you are listening to a seldom used VHF car to car channel and not the regular dispatch channel on the Palmetto P25 system.

Me; Bingo! Please explain to me why it is listed on the website page previously posted as the Sumter County Sheriffs Dept? It is WHY I am confused.

You; When you select Law Dispatch, you are no longer listening to that car to car channel and now you're listening to the main dispatch channel.

Me; Yes, I know that. Said that more than once. I am not an idiot, am asking WHY. If the website indicates this as hearing the traffic I want to hear, then why is it not the traffic I want to hear? Law Talk is not the main traffic for the Sumter County Sheriffs Dept, period. Maybe there is a newbie laughable just belittle this guy answer, but I have yet to see it.

You; That's why you are hearing more with Law Dispatch than with Law Talk.

Me; Sorry, newbie uneducated member doesn't get it.

You; It's got nothing to do with how things are tagged in the Database and it has nothing to do with the website.

Me; OK, same as before, uneducated newbie.

You; If you've got a manual, I suggest you read it and try to understand how selecting different tags with your scanner works.

Me; What manual, have you seen the PRO-668 manual? Tell me what I am missing in the manual that relates to this particular instance. Maybe you refer to the 'marksscanner' downloadable manual, or the 'addendum' to it? Read all three ad-nauseam. Or, maybe you have some other manual to suggest that specifically explains why the webpage lists 'Law Talk', and when it is selected doesn't open up to receive any traffic during the time I had it programmed into THE RADIO. I feel you are being dismissive, and that's not quite what I expect from someone who is supposed to help the members. That's OK, eventually I will either 'get it', or find I have been dismissed by something that two people could not find a common language to convey. IF there is someone local to me, that I can demonstrate what is happening, then maybe there can be a bridge to understanding. Right now, I see some attempts (in totality), to understanding but am discouraged with the dismissive comments to 'educate/read the manual/newbie inferences'.

You; The best bet would be to select Law Dispatch and Law Talk.

Me; No, to hear the traffic I want to hear, the best bet (for this ignorant newbie who needs to become less ignorant) is to leave 'Law Dispatch' programmed in his radio. This newbie pauses on this 'Law Dispatch' channel and has yet educated himself enough to successfully intergrate the iScan software (which is not in this members future yet) to further open up his hardwares capabilities, which right now is not necessary because to go further, member needs to first crawl.

Finally, nothing insulting offered in reply, only continued frustration felt that I am unable to effectively communicate the confusion I have, with the condescending responses continually felt in replies. Hope to press on forward without being consistently reminded of the fact I do not know what I am doing, I do kind of expect those who do know, would reflect back that they were once not in the know. I am OK with dropping this entire post/affair since I have absolutely no idea...

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
When you select dispatch your scanner goes to the palmetto p25 trs and to the dispatch tg tagged as law dispatch. The vhf frequency is not used any longer and was once used as an talk channel thus its talk tag.

CycleSycho

When you select dispatch your scanner goes to the palmetto p25 trs and to the dispatch tg tagged as law dispatch. The vhf frequency is not used any longer and was once used as an talk channel thus its talk tag.

:) Thank you, I had seen a previous comment akin to this insight, and at least one post comment that (some?) data has not been 'updated' in a while due to this or that. Also understood the old license call-sign may have been retained(?) with the original frequency not 'changed(?)' when converted to P-25. Still don't quite understand all that (referencing call-sign/assignment vs frequency originally licensed/P-25 conversion), but am trying. Could even be a rule oversight with the FCC in the past, carried forward (who knows, I don't). Would love to hook up with someone locally (in a non-invasive way) to share and learn all this stuff. Not optimistic as people are just very busy with their own agenda/life (as a rule). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.