• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Issue with Motorola CPS 2.0

fseipel

Hi, I work for a small company, I bought another Motorola mobile radio attached to a power supply. I have both CPS 16 and the new 2.0. I am not a radio professional. But have cloned lots of UHF radios. I am having trouble with this radio, it is just stuck at channel 0 -- buttons are set to advance channel. Is there something basic I am doing wrong in CPS? Is there somewhere I have to set which zone the channels are cycling through? Most of our radios are XPR 6xxx series and the old CPS software was a snap to use. I can't read the radio in the old CPS, presumably because it has more recent firmware.

Also the CPS is a bit maddening in that 2.0 won't open files from the older CPS, it throws some error -- is there some way to import aside from File|Open which doesn't work? Any assistance appreciated. I'm fine manually typing the data for channels in (and already did so for several), but it still won't cycle through channels, it's stuck on Channel #0, I push button in on 5350 to change channels (it blinks on display), but won't advance. Thanks much, Frank

K2NEC

Ok so the radio shows "01" or it shows "0-"? Because there is no channel 0. When you try to change the channel does it give you a bonk or a beep?
Just picking nits here but the firmware has nothing to do with what software it gets programmed with ON GEN 1 RADIOS. Whatever the last version of CPS it was programmed with is what it needs to be programmed with or newer.
You wont be able to open an r16 codeplug in CPS2.0 it wont work.
You didn't mention but are you able to read the radio?

fseipel

Hi, it displayed '00' on startup. Solid beep. If I adjusted volume it beeps 2 times if I advance one notch or 3 if I advanced more than one notch. When I hold volume center button in, 00 blinks but it does nothing when I move selector up or down to change channels.

Update:

I had it set up incorrectly in 'CPS 2.0':

* I had not set a desired Channel Zone under Configuration|General|General Settings|Power-up
* I had not set a desired channel in same (though this is more a matter of convenience)
* I had not set my channels up in a Zone but had them in a 'Channel Pool'
* I still don't really understand what 'Channel Pool' is, I assume I can just delete that?
* I bought Radio from a radio company but to save money decided I'd program myself, I bought CPS 2.0, now that I've been successful I will buy more
* I still had one other question, the analog channels each have a DPL code that seems to uniquely identify them, for digital channels is there something similar? Right now everybody is on just one digital channel, radios were originally set up all analog EVEN THOUGH they bought digital radios here 10 years ago... I am transitioning them to digital which has been successful, though some personnel seem to have preferred the analog due to cutting off frequencies
* Are there any simple guides I can read to educate myself further on optimizing radios for use in noisy industrial environment?
* Radios came with a bunch of Capacity Plus channels, I don't even know what that is, I just deleted them all -- this is a small plant with 25 people or less onsite at any one time
* I wanted to post above in case it is of use to any beginners

Thanks again!

Frank

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I still don't really understand what 'Channel Pool' is, I assume I can just delete that?
The Channel Pool is used when setting up Capacity Plus channels. It can't be deleted so just ignore it.
I still had one other question, the analog channels each have a DPL code that seems to uniquely identify them, for digital channels is there something similar?
DPL and TPL are normally used for opening analog repeaters and preventing the radios from unmuting from interference or other radio users who are on the same frequency. On digital channels, you use the Color Code to achieve a similar result. You can use any of the Color Codes (0-15) just make sure every radio has the same one otherwise, it will receive the traffic but not decode it.
radios were originally set up all analog EVEN THOUGH they bought digital radios here 10 years ago...
You should check the license(s) to make sure your authorized to use digital modulation. Mototrbo DMR is 7K60FXE and 7K60FXD. If you have those your good to go.

fseipel

Floridarailfanning: Thanks for further educating me about our radios. I went ahead and ordered two more desk ones (mobile with power supply).