• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Issue with Motorola xts5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rb41dog

Just a quick question for you experts with radio technology.
I work in law enforcement, and our issued radio is the motorola xts5000. Our department never gave us mics for them, so we had to buy our own. I purchased an off brand mic from Amazon, for roughly 35-40 dollars. It does not say motorola anywhere on the mic. Ever since I've bought it, my radio has issues keying up inside of the vehicle. It constantly gives me a bonk. The radio seems to work better outside of the car, but still has some issues getting a good signal.
Are all of these problems because I bought an off brand mic???

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
No. You are experiencing problems because the radio antenna is still on your belt while you are sitting down, hence lower in the vehicle. If the antenna cannot "see" the system, you're not going to make it into the system.

sfd119

Wait...is it keying up by itself or you just can't transmit from inside your vehicle?

SCPD

QRT
I would try pressing your ptt without shoulder mic on while sitting see if it bonks just reach down and press see if it gives the authorization key up or keys up. If it bonks while in car wothout mic it can be either antenna issue, or it just can't get a signal which is most likely it's having trouble getting tower signal. One way on 700/800 systems to get around this problem is shoulder mics with the antenna on them. I would reccomend it on trunked systems. If you notice say others cities or on tv majority to all using trunked systems use shoulder mics with antennas.

SCPD

QRT
I would try to switch with another officer see if he has same problem. Try his mic then he tries yours. Eliminate any possibility. Is your antenna on radio pretty good condition it bent or anything.

SCPD

QRT
Get a genuine Motorola speaker mic, period!. The aftermarket ones have quality to be desired and since your radio can sometimes be a lifesaver, don't skimp out on one. The public safety mics with the antenna on them for UHF or 700/800MHz systems would be a plus also. The Moto ones are more expensive, but they can take the abuse as well.

Some people may disagree and say the aftermarket ones are fine, but why risk it. I am surprised your agency has not put a mandate to only get approved RSM's. Don't want to damage that 5000.

CCHLLM

And make sure the mic cord isn't wrapped around the antenna. That is a guaranteed method of creating the "dead zone blues" and a good way to bet on sooner or later damaging the radio due to high SWR.

Status
Not open for further replies.