Issue with my 898t and sometimes 396t going quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.

eahuntley

Both of my scanners will do this, but the 898t does it way more often. I might have been able to find a thread mentioning the same problem, but I wasn't sure what to search for, or how to define this problem.

The scanner will be picking up plenty of traffic, and then the traffic will stop and it will just scan away. Usually when I notice it doing this I just turn off the scanner(after 5-8 minutes of silence, which is unusual for this system) and turn it back on and everything is fine. A few times when I've noticed it doing this I'll turn on my other scanner and it will be picking up traffic fine(they've never both done it at the same time)

I typically only listen to one system(http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3136); It's a motorola type II Smartzone system.

Does anyone know what's going on here, and if there's anything I can do to straighten it out?

JoeyC

Are you programmng the freqs from ONLY one site or are you mixing them together?
Keep in mind if you program multiple sites in the same system you are going to have mixed results if you are in range of more than one of the sites. Your scanner may be locked on to one site one minute and a different one the next (depending on your programming and the scanner). Unless ALL the talkgroups are simulcast across all sites, you may be hearing dead periods.

RoninJoliet

That is a issue with the first large batch of 898t's that were produced...Until i had a friend download the new ver: into the 898 all of a sudden i would see it look like it was scanning but it was really sitting "stuck" on a TG....Turn it off then on and it would be fine for maybe a month...I think this new "fix" (ver) is still on the Uniden web site,......

eahuntley

I put my ) too close on my other link. Here's one that works
Washington County / Clackamas County Trunking System, Various, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies

AHAH! I plugged in the control groups from all sites. Am I just supposed to choose the one closest to me? Is each site sort of like a repeater? I don't know a whole heck of a lot about how trunked systems work, and I knew even less when I originally programmed my scanner. I'm pretty sure I programmed all channels from all sites into the scanners originally.

I looked at the "location" of the sites, and 1,2, and 3 all seem to be located in the same place, all pretty near my location as well. This particular system is for both Washington and Clackamas county, but I'm only really interested in Washington County.

Status
Not open for further replies.