• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Issue with Quantar wireline compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

emanuel32804

Hi folks,

I recently had to replace the SCM on one of my quantar satellite receivers and after doing so I noticed that the wireline is not quite functioning right. Once the unit boots up, it will be solid for about 30 seconds and then the aux light will start slowly blinking and the WL light will occasionally flash to red momentarily before going back to green. It just continues this cycle indefinitely. After researching a bit, I saw in the service manual that the old TLN wirelines are not compatible with new SCMs, but I don't have one. Mine is a CLN6955A wireline and my SCM is a CLN6961F. The old SCM was a CLN6961A. I know A to F is a big jump through the revision history, but I had been having issues with the older revisions with the weird checksum glitch with the unprogrammed areas of the chips. I had also read something about old wirelines using one-time PROM whereas new ones use flash. So when the newer SCMs try to upload to the old wirelines and subsequently cannot do so, they get upset. I did notice when I first put the SCM in that the WL green and red leds were flashing back and forth very quickly, indicating download mode. Does anybody have any thoughts about this before I go and buy a new WL card like the CLN6955E?

Thanks,
E

Last edited:

xmo

Did you try swapping the firmware SIM from your old SCM to the new one?

emanuel32804

I have not tried that. Wouldn't that bring back the issue I was having before with the failed checksum? Or is that corrupted empty space on a different chip?

xmo

I think not.
The EPIC card has an 8-pin EEPROM that holds the codeplug. The station is constantly writing 'stuff' to it. When they get old - they start to give errors. There's a good chance that is all that's wrong with your original card. If you replace that chip you might be able to keep your original as a spare.

prcguy

I've always been confused by the various Epic cards. I've pulled some out of working repeaters that had no group of EPROMs (the four that usually have white stickers) and no snap in memory modules. Some have only one memory module, some have two and various other combinations. Some have a thick DC-DC converter chip and some don't.

What information is held in the four EPROMS and what is in the snap in memory modules?

emanuel32804

I've always been confused by the various Epic cards. I've pulled some out of working repeaters that had no group of EPROMs (the four that usually have white stickers) and no snap in memory modules. Some have only one memory module, some have two and various other combinations. Some have a thick DC-DC converter chip and some don't.

What information is held in the four EPROMS and what is in the snap in memory modules?

Ah great questions, I'm seconding these. I'm curious about the differences between the revisions (A, B, C, ... F at the end of part numbers) and the different versions like EPIC 1, 2, 3, ... 6.

xyz321

XMO is speaking of the socketed (square) PLCC near the front edge of the card. Originally they were Xicor chips that seemed to fail after a while. Mot later used Atmel chips that were pretty solid. I only replaced a few Atmels. We finally pro-actively replaced all those chips. You will have to do a full alignment after replacement tho :(

emanuel32804

I gave xmo's suggestion a try and swapped the firmware chip around. I tried both new SCM with old firmware as well as old SCM with new firmware. Interestingly enough, both gave me the same behavior that I had before the SCM swap. I.e, gets through initial boot until WL light goes red, green, red, green. 2 cycles only for a functioning unit, but in this case it keeps doing that. Never gets to the intercom light 4 flashes. Should I just get a new WL board and use the new SCM and firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.