• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Issues getting TK-5210 to scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

blokman21

I've got a kenwood TK-5210 and have everything programmed to what I believe is correct, with the zones, personalities, and scan lists, but the radio will not switch to a different channel to revive the transmission. It will stay on whatever channel I select and the scan icon will be there but if I try to talk on a different channel to test scan mode it doesn't do anything but stay on the channel it is set to.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Make sure you've set up each personality to use the scan list.
Under Zone/Channel Parameters, make sure Scan Add is set to YES
Make sure you have a key programmed for "scan".
Under the Scan Information screen, make sure you have that set up correctly.
Make sure your Scan Type is set correctly.
Check the member list and make sure the channels are there.

If the scan icon is showing, sounds like you are mostly set correctly, but something is missing. Making sure the channels are in the right scan list would be my first check.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Mike hang up. Some radios depending on programming, have to have the mic "in the hook" to scan.

It’s a portable radio. TK-5710 is the mobile version.

5210- VHF portable
5310- UHF portable
5410- 700/800MHz portable
5710- VHF mobile
5810- UHF mobile
5910- 700/800MHz mobile

blokman21

Im not sure if you can tell anything from this, but i have gone over everything multiple times with no luck. I have different zones setup and then setup scan lists for each zone. One would think that if the scan icon was showing up that it would work. If I manually select the channel being transmitted on it will receive but just wont switch to it while scanning.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A bit hard to read.
Without having the entire DAT file in front of me, it would be difficult for me to guess.

I can say:
Pull up each personality and make sure it's assigned to your scan list. (looks like it is from what I can see from your Zone/Channel Parameter screen behind your scan screen).

On the scan screen, make sure the members are shown on that tab.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Are you naming individual items in the list (pane 2)?

If you haven't, you need to change the type to Conventional (Single Zone) or Conventional (Multi-Zone) depending on your needs.

blokman21

So I have multiple zones that I would like to scan but you can only set one list to Single Zone or Multi-Zone. Am I only able to scan on one zone then? Or would I have one list with all personalities and set to Multi-Zone? Scan list 1 wont allow any members to be put in it, is that normal?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So I have multiple zones that I would like to scan but you can only set one list to Single Zone or Multi-Zone. Am I only able to scan on one zone then? Or would I have one list with all personalities and set to Multi-Zone? Scan list 1 wont allow any members to be put in it, is that normal?

Just set the Scan Type to "Conventional" on the Scan Information/Members tab. Add your scan members there. Select the Zone and Channel.

If you want to scan the whole zone, then click the Zone Add box near the top of the Zone screen and set the Scan Type on the scan member page to Conventional (Multi Zone).

Last edited:

blokman21

So I do not need to make multiple scan lists for each zone? Zone add box is checked and I've tried to have it set to Multi-Zone. Could it be the multiple scan lists giving me issues?

I may not be understanding correctly, Add all personalities to one list and set the list to Multi-Zone?

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
If you just want to scan multiple zones, then you need to create a MultiZone scan list and assign that scan list to each personality you'll be parked on.

If you want a channel to just scan the channels in it's own zone, set it to Single zone.

You can't add items to a list in either Zone type, only Conventional. Just make sure each personality you'll be scanning from has the correct scan list set in it. Also, you'll need to ensure the channels you want are enabled via Scan Add and Zone Add.

If you want just a custom list of channels, use Conventional.

blokman21

If you just want to scan multiple zones, then you need to create a MultiZone scan list and assign that scan list to each personality you'll be parked on.

If you want a channel to just scan the channels in it's own zone, set it to Single zone.

You can't add items to a list in either Zone type, only Conventional. Just make sure each personality you'll be scanning from has the correct scan list set in it. Also, you'll need to ensure the channels you want are enabled via Scan Add and Zone Add.

If you want just a custom list of channels, use Conventional.
I added all 127 of the personalities to one scan list and set it to Multi-Zone. So now it should scan just within the different zones? Everything is in scan list 1 and it is set to Multi-Zone, I cannot add members to this scan list, but in the personalities tab it is set to scan list 1.

I have 15 Zones that I want to be able to scan within, not between the zones just the zone I have selected. I previously had different scan lists set for each zone and each personality within the zone was set to the corresponding scan list.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I think you're backwards on this. It's not a beginner's radio to program. I highly suggest reading through the help documentation.

A scan list has a maximum of 32 members, so there's no way you added 127 personalities to one scan list.

When you're in a personality, you assign that personality to USE a specific scan list. It will look to that scan list and use the settings you provided in that list to determine how to scan. If you only want the radio to scan the zone you are currently in, make Scan List 1 a Conventional (Single Zone) scan list. When you select a channel, it will then load those parameters. So you can set every personality in every zone to Single Zone, and the radio will only look to members of the currently selected zone that are enabled (via Scan Add in the Zone/Ch Parameters page).

Multi-Zone will allow the radio to look at all enabled (via Zone Add in Zone/Ch Parameters) zones in addition to the existing zone.

Uncheck Revert Channel Display in the scan list to determine if the radio is indeed scanning. When you say that you see the icon, which icon are you seeing? There are three Scan-related icons. Are you hearing different tones (Lo-Hi and Hi-Lo) when you turn scan on and off?

blokman21

I think you're backwards on this. It's not a beginner's radio to program. I highly suggest reading through the help documentation.

A scan list has a maximum of 32 members, so there's no way you added 127 personalities to one scan list.

When you're in a personality, you assign that personality to USE a specific scan list. It will look to that scan list and use the settings you provided in that list to determine how to scan. If you only want the radio to scan the zone you are currently in, make Scan List 1 a Conventional (Single Zone) scan list. When you select a channel, it will then load those parameters. So you can set every personality in every zone to Single Zone, and the radio will only look to members of the currently selected zone that are enabled (via Scan Add in the Zone/Ch Parameters page).

Multi-Zone will allow the radio to look at all enabled (via Zone Add in Zone/Ch Parameters) zones in addition to the existing zone.

Uncheck Revert Channel Display in the scan list to determine if the radio is indeed scanning. When you say that you see the icon, which icon are you seeing? There are three Scan-related icons. Are you hearing different tones (Lo-Hi and Hi-Lo) when you turn scan on and off?

Thats What I thought. I went back to my old setup with individual scan lists. Number 1 being he list I cant input anything into should be set to Single-Zone, then every list after that one is set to conventional?

I unchecked Revert Channel display and it is indeed scanning, but it still wont stop on the frequency being transmitted. If I turn the channel selector knob to that channel it will receive but if its not selected it wont.

progress is being made but I must still be missing something
And yes all scan add is set to yes

Last edited:

N5XPM

Thats What I thought. I went back to my old setup with individual scan lists. Number 1 being he list I cant input anything into should be set to Single-Zone, then every list after that one is set to conventional?

I unchecked Revert Channel display and it is indeed scanning, but it still wont stop on the frequency being transmitted. If I turn the channel selector knob to that channel it will receive but if its not selected it wont.

progress is being made but I must still be missing something
And yes all scan add is set to yes

If you have a national weather service nearby, program that channel and add it as scannable (see post 12). If that stops scanning, you will have confirmation radio is receiving. Squelch may be set really high as well. This may reveal a broken antenna or worse if you can’t hear anything.

blokman21

I have been using NWS for a lot of the testing. I checked what the squelch was set at, 5 and I turned it to 1. It says its scanning the proper scan list for the corresponding zone. It will now receive on whatever channel I have selected unless it doesn't receive anything then it will go back to scanning but will not stop on a channel that I know is transmitting. (the NWS frequencies) Priority is currently set to selected

N5XPM

I have been using NWS for a lot of the testing. I checked what the squelch was set at, 5 and I turned it to 1. It says its scanning the proper scan list for the corresponding zone. It will now receive on whatever channel I have selected unless it doesn't receive anything then it will go back to scanning but will not stop on a channel that I know is transmitting. (the NWS frequencies) Priority is currently set to selected

If you receive weather service when not scanning, but not when scanning you are getting close. How about programming a few other channels without receive CTCSS enabled. (Carrier squelch)

Status
Not open for further replies.