Issues listening to CPD Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexk243

So I have had a few scanners over time and tried listening to CPD, and I can hear all transmission, but on dead air both my scanners give an awful beeping/static sound. its not constant, but sporadic. Any ideas on what is going on and what I need to do to get rid of it?

ilgrant

Sounds like you are getting intermod or a transmitter is near you. Not sure how well built the radio that you are using is. Do you have any other scanners for a comparison?

N9JIG

Sheriff
I concur with ilgrant. Sounds like you are close to a data transmitter and it is overloading the front end of your $45 radio.

Scanners and cheap radios like this will not have the image and adjacent channel rejection that a better made radio will. While Motorola, Harris etc. radios are not immune to this type of interference they are much less susceptible to it.

oemctx4

Well what can you expect from a scanner that has to receive VHF-Lo, VHF, UHF, and 800, Mhz Mhz. The lack preselectors which filter out wanted out of band signals. Is it possible that the frequency that you are listening to is being used by another police department?

alexk243

Used a Grecom with the same result. I have drove around and have seemed that it only happening in a 1/2 mile radius around my house... which is weird, but goes along with what you guys think.

Is there any setting or adjustment I can make on this radio to get rid of this interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.