issues on iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

suriname

Hi RR crew,
some drop-down menus, like the [ABOUT] menu, open the main link of the menu, instead of allowing the user to choose an option from the drop-down menu.
The link opens so fast, there is no way to click the team or blog links etc..
Thisncould be fixed by not using a link (href) on the main menu button itself, the one that opens the drop-down.

I hope this has been described clearly. Otherwise finding an iPad an testing it out would not be too hard to do.

suriname

no, and don't want to either,
iPad has a high-res display (768x1024) and more than FullHD on The New iPad (1536x2048), equal or greater compared to a desktop or laptop display, so using the mobile-version, optimized for 320px or 640px makes no sense (and it looks horrible too, all blown up!).
Trust me when I tell you, the iPad cannot be compare to a general "mobile device".
(there is a reason I did not get forwarded to that "mobile version" with my iPad)

The desktop-version of the site looks and works great on the iPads !!!
Here's the thing: Only the top menu has this issue, the forum drop-down menus do not, when you click on them (e.g. quick links) it pops down the menu, without leaving the page I'm on.
The top menu-bar with e.g. the About-button takes me to the about page, instead of showing me the contents of it's drop-down.
The link/href of that (about) button should be changed to a hover only, and the link placed within the drop-down.
Touch friendly. (I'm guessin other touch tablets would suffer from this also)

Hope it makes sense.

;-)

kma371

QRT
True, but what do you need to view in "high res" on the full RR website?

It's all text isn't it? Just doesn't make sense to me. And no flash on iPad so can't view the state maps either.

suriname

indeed !

but what do you need to view in "high res" on the full RR website?
for the same reason you're not using the mobile version on your desktop monitor,
(it's not optimized for that resolution),
the iPad resolution is fixed, it cannot be changed. all fora, incl. this one, display FINE on an iPad, they are made to be viewd on non-mobile (high-res) monitors.
This is not an iPad issue really. The problem is the main site-menu not touch-device friendly (whatever the device or resolution)
(and btw, the "mobile" site is NOT optimized for iPad or any other high res device above >720px wide)

It's all text isn't it? Just doesn't make sense to me. And no flash on iPad so can't view the state maps either.
That's not the issue here and now.
I don't care so much about flash.
For those who do, they already found a way to deal with that (use a pc or other non-iOS device)

Cheers !

bamx2

Tapatalk works well for just browsing forums. Not so much for searching and not for the database of course.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Hi RR crew,
some drop-down menus, like the [ABOUT] menu, open the main link of the menu, instead of allowing the user to choose an option from the drop-down menu.
Thisncould be fixed by not using a link (href) on the main menu button itself, the one that opens the drop-down.

I hope this has been described clearly. Otherwise finding an iPad an testing it out would not be too hard to do.

The problem is that those menus are designed to open when you "hover" over them, whereas your ipad is imitating a click instead of a hover.

The site was designed with computers in mind, and your ipad lacks the capabilities to utilize these drop down menus.

I have the same problem on my Asus Transformer.

suriname

The problem is that those menus are designed to open when you "hover" over them, whereas your ipad is imitating a click instead of a hover.

The site was designed with computers in mind, and your ipad lacks the capabilities to utilize these drop down menus.

I have the same problem on my Asus Transformer.

The forum (vBulletin) has touch users in mind.

iPads open hover menus fine, it's the "href" that has been placed on the top-menu item of this hover-menu that screws itnall up. One again, the vBulletin drop-downs don't have this issue.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
The forum (vBulletin) has touch users in mind.

iPads open hover menus fine, it's the "href" that has been placed on the top-menu item of this hover-menu that screws itnall up. One again, the vBulletin drop-downs don't have this issue.

Since what you're referring to isn't part of the forums exclusively, it is a css script on the webpage itself... it is a part of the overall site, what vbulletin does is irrelevant (also the reason I moved your thread). The ipad has no problems with dropdowns that require a "click" such as the triangle next to "Search" or "Your Notifications".

suriname

The ipad has no problems with dropdowns that require a "click"
That's because on a non-touch device or desktop/laptop, that click does not take you to another page either, the click is there to open the menu.

Now the site-menu, all menus except "home" and "submit info" are drop-downs, with:
1) a hover-action to open the drop-down
2) a click action to take you to another page (e.g. About RadioReference.com)

To open a drop-down on a touch-device, requires a TOUCH (aka CLICK), but this also activates the link, and takes you away from the page, without getting a change to open or view the drop-down menu.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
That's because on a non-touch device or desktop/laptop, that click does not take you to another page either, the click is there to open the menu.

That is not correct. As long as I can remember, hovering your pointer over those buttons will open the dropdown and a click will navigate away from the page you are using.

Your ipad lacks the ability to hover over these menus and instead imitates a "click" when you tap the seen.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

suriname

That is not correct. As long as I can remember, hovering your pointer over those buttons will open the dropdown and a click will navigate away from the page you are using.

Your ipad lacks the ability to hover over these menus and instead imitates a "click" when you tap the seen.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

so what you saying is that if I CLICK on the vBulletin drop-down menus they navigate away to another page ???
If so, please specify where to, because I had checked before posting, and have just checked again on a pc, that clicking "search" or "quick links" does NOT navigate away, but ONLY OPENS the drop-down, which is CORRECT as it should be.
This works fine on the iPad and other touch devices and is not the issue here.
The issue is the main menu not being touch-friendly for non-hover capable iOS devices.

Please check again, before posting.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
suriname:

I think that your observation is correct; however, your premise ("issues on iPad") is wrong. The actual site is not designed to be used by iOS devices. It is designed to be used by devices that use a mouse or mouse like device; in most cases this will be a computer. And as we all know, iPads are not computers.

I will agree that there are methods that can be added to the code that would make exceptions for the iOS devices; however, the point is the site has a mobile version, designed with generic mobile devices in mind. If you choose to use your iPad on the full site, then you are one who has to make whatever adaptations to the way you use the site to suit the situation. Also, I am not sure (I don't own one), but I suspect that touchscreen OSs for computers probably have allowances in the OS to handle this mouse vs touch situation for the hover. I am not saying that Lindsay may not address this sometime in the future; however, I can say quite assuredly, it is not a priority on his plate.

In reference to your vBulletin comments, as pointed out earlier, the menus have nothing to do with vBulletin; indeed, vBulletin is a very small piece of the software-pie used on the site. It just appears to be the largest elephant in the room because of the volume of posts in the forums. The forums, I might add, are not the focus of the site, the database is.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
so what you saying is that if I CLICK on the vBulletin drop-down menus they navigate away to another page ???
If so, please specify where to, because I had checked before posting, and have just checked again on a pc, that clicking "search" or "quick links" does NOT navigate away, but ONLY OPENS the drop-down, which is CORRECT as it should be.
This works fine on the iPad and other touch devices and is not the issue here.
The issue is the main menu not being touch-friendly for non-hover capable iOS devices.

Please check again, before posting.

Okay,

Now you're talking about two very different things.

You started by talking about the site navigation buttons (Home Databases / Live Audio / Forums / Wiki / classifieds / Submit Info / About), Then began talking about the VBulletin menus (Search / Your Notifications) as if they were the same thing.

The site navigation buttons open a dropdown when you hover a pointer over them, and navigate to a different page when you click on them. This has nothing to do with Vbulletin, and since your iPad lacks a mouse pointer, when you tap the navigation buttons, they will navigate away from the page that you are on.

The Vbulletin menus are completely different. Those dropdown menus open when you click on them.

Your first link sums the problem up in its first sentence,
In truth it’s not a fix as the iPad doesn’t have the ability to hover.

Last edited:

richtidd

Database Admin
Hi RR crew,

This is an Apple IOS issue not supporting flash.

For my iPad, I send the links via a desktop to my self via e-mail.
On the iPad I click on the links & after they open in Safari, I save them as bookmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.