• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Issues With Baofeng UV-82 w/ Odd Work Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfish

Hi all,
I am 100% new to the world of radios. I recently was hired as an arena rigger and they require I have a radio. They gave me instructions (see attachment)

Everyone I work with has an old motorola radio. I can't even find the models that they use on ebay etc.
So I got this one off Amazon.

If anyone can help me at all I will be eternally grateful to the point if it does work I can paypal you something.

Thank you,
Fish

Attachments

• IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 642

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I can't read the text in the photo. Especially since it's sideways. I assume that the text in the bottom half of the paper is a list of channels and their frequencies and PL/CTCSS tones. Knowing what frequencies and other settings should be programmed into each channel is the most important thing. Other instructions will vary depending on the model of radio you have.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
The picture lists VHF and UHF frequencies. The nine columns should be read as three columns of 'channel data'. From left to right column 1 is 'channel number' column 2 is actual frequency, column 3 is bandwidth. the pattern then repeats making three columns( or lists) of 3 column data.

The first list is VHF frequency data. for example- channel 1 is a frequency of 151.625 Mhz and apparently a bandwidth of 25 kHz. For the Baofeng, that would likely mean memory one is simplex (same transmit and receive frequency) and wide for the wide/narrow bandwidth setting.

You can order the programing cable for the radio form Amazon and others. Programing software is available on the internet (many users use a package called CHIRP).

Most of the frequencies listed require a license to transmit. Just a quick glance has several that to be legal should be 12.5 rather than 25 kHz. I would recommend talking whoever helped set up the other radios.

Based on the website listed on the paper (Untitled Document), I would suggest you ask your employer to see the license authorizing the radios. If you are using them without a license, each person can be fined up to $10,000 for each day of illegal operation. The fact that you are using a radio you own and programed would likely make the fine all yours too-. I would make sure you are properly authorized (and have it in writing) before transmitting on what could be a local emergency frequency -that is not a pleasant way to meet the local sheriff.

Feel free to ask if you need more information. You can PM me or just reply to this thread.

Take care

Last edited:

nd5y

If your employer requires you to have a radio then they should have issued you one that was already programmed on the employer's licensed frequencies.
If an incompetent employer did that to me I would look for another job.

The picture appears to show Motorola XTN series preset frequencies which are listed here:
Common Itinerant and Business - The RadioReference Wiki
You still need to find out if the other radios are VHF or UHF and what frequencies and tones are programmed in them.
This is not easy for somebody with little or no radio knowledge.

sfish

Hi all,
Thank you for your quick replies. So evidently all the radios were programmed by a guy who recently has retired. So nobody really knows what is going on. I work for a local union and while it's not a requirement per se...it is if I want to stay employed.
Nonetheless I spoke with the head guy and he said he isn't sure exactly how to program them. I asked if they are on VHF or UHF and he said UHF. He told me the numbers on the side of the paper #1 (5,4) is frequency number 5 on the chart with a sub frequency of 4. I asked how I would program that and he said he doesn't know.

I have the chirp software and everything installed. I just don't know what exactly they mean by #1 (5,4) and how to enter that into my Baofeng.

I appreciate antyones efforts.

SCPD

QRT
Hope this helps....

Here you go:

Enter exactly as follows in Chirp, if you run into any issues, let me know and I will create the file for you.

Before you get started, in Chirp, save a copy factory default state by click Radio then Download from Radio then File then Save As.

Frequency 467.850000
Name 1
Tone Mode TSQL
ToneSql 77.0
Mode NFM

Frequency 467.900000
Name 2
Tone Mode TSQL
ToneSql 82.5
Mode NFM

Frequency 461.037500
Name 3
Tone Mode TSQL
ToneSql 88.5
Mode NFM

Frequency 461.087500
Name 4
Tone Mode TSQL
ToneSql 77.0
Mode NFM

Frequency 461.137500
Name 5
Tone Mode TSQL
ToneSql 82.5
Mode NFM

Frequency 461.187500
Name 6
Tone Mode TSQL
ToneSql 88.5
Mode NFM

Hi all,
Thank you for your quick replies. So evidently all the radios were programmed by a guy who recently has retired. So nobody really knows what is going on. I work for a local union and while it's not a requirement per se...it is if I want to stay employed.
Nonetheless I spoke with the head guy and he said he isn't sure exactly how to program them. I asked if they are on VHF or UHF and he said UHF. He told me the numbers on the side of the paper #1 (5,4) is frequency number 5 on the chart with a sub frequency of 4. I asked how I would program that and he said he doesn't know.

I have the chirp software and everything installed. I just don't know what exactly they mean by #1 (5,4) and how to enter that into my Baofeng.

I appreciate antyones efforts.

sfish

So the radio gets the transmission (lights up blue) but I cannot hear anything. Anyone know what to do in that case?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What are you testing with? Is it another known-good radio?

Usually when the receive light comes on like that, but there is no audio out of the speaker, that's an indication that the "ToneSql" or tone squelch is set up incorrectly.

Double check your programming and make sure it matches that above.

Status
Not open for further replies.