Issues with BCD996P2 and P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber
So I scan Prince George's County, MD (Prince George's County Trunking System, Various, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies) police and I noticed that my BCD996P2 scanner randomly goes quiet and doesn't pick up transmissions. I check the online feed for the same exact same system (openmhz) and all three channels I was "monitoring" were active. Then, I turn off my scanner, turn it back on, and it's back to normal. I haven't tested it out to see how long it goes quiet for, but it was at least 10 minutes.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Any chance this could be a simulcast distortion issue? That's where your scanner is getting good signal, but has trouble decoding what it receives because the signal is coming from multiple transmitters at the same time.

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber
Any chance this could be a simulcast distortion issue? That's where your scanner is getting good signal, but has trouble decoding what it receives because the signal is coming from multiple transmitters at the same time.
That could very well be it. Then I'm wondering, was turning it off and back on just a coincidence that it started working well again?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber makes me think 95% software programmed.
Plus the area system says Simulcast which may or may not be true.
I’ve heard simulcast being confused with multicast... But other than the obvious simple definition of multicast, I’ve never heard it mentioned prior to someone using it in relation with the Ct. Land Mobile Radio Network (CLMRN). Even though RR lists it as a simulcast system, someone took issue with it and said technically it’s improper to use the term simulcast with CLMRN. I thought there might be something to this multicast term because I have never had a problem with either my BCD536HP base or mobile radios exhibiting any simulcast problems, and. Don’t remember others in Ct complaining. But I also don’t want to upset the RR contributer who has shown substantial effort compiling the CLMRN data. I’m not looking to split hairs. I don’t really care what it’s called. But what I’d really care to know is this; How does the term multicast relate to simulcast?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
With only two major sites it's a pretty good bet it is simulcast.

It actually appears to be a multicast simulcast system, as there appears to be two simulcast zones.

@ the OP: Also might be a good idea to remove the voice-only channels from the sites so it doesn't get hung up on those.

fredva

Feed Provider
Prince George's system is definitely a simulcast system. You can tell if a system is simulcast by going to a site page such as South Simulcast Site Details (Prince George's County), clicking on the FCC site license links, and seeing if there are multiple transmitters with the same frequencies listed. The frequencies for Location 1 will be repeated in Location 2, Location 3, etc. It can also be helpful to look at the location of the towers in case you want to try using a directional antenna to improve the reception, although using that technique gives mixed results. A simulcast-compatible receiver is the best option if you can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.