Issues with Programming and cant find my city

Status
Not open for further replies.

genemalet

Lifetime Member and RadioReference Board Member
Ok here is the question, I want to program one city and the close by depts. into the scanner. I am able to do it with the Uniden HP 436 Scanner but not the Whistler Scanner. I want Johns Creek Ga. Well first off it doesn't have it listed as a city. I have to select a nearby city and then it will add Johns Creek Georgia. Then what the scanner does is, it downloads the whole Atlanta Ga area. I don't want the whole area and it takes several edits to get it correct.
I thought Whistler uses the radio reference database as does Uniden.
Why cant I find Johns Creek Ga, which is a fairly large City.
Is their a way to shorten the mileage that the radio pulls to scan from when adding your city? I don't want all of Atlanta.
Why cant it just pull Johns Creek, its not even listed?
That's one thing I can say is a huge difference than the Uniden product. It pulls the correct data. Then if its not correct, they don't abbreviate the names of cities and depts. so you know what you are pulling from the database.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

troymail

Silent Key
Ok here is the question, I want to program one city and the close by depts. into the scanner. I am able to do it with the Uniden HP 436 Scanner but not the Whistler Scanner. I want Johns Creek Ga. Well first off it doesn't have it listed as a city. I have to select a nearby city and then it will add Johns Creek Georgia. Then what the scanner does is, it downloads the whole Atlanta Ga area. I don't want the whole area and it takes several edits to get it correct.
I thought Whistler uses the radio reference database as does Uniden.
Why cant I find Johns Creek Ga, which is a fairly large City.
Is their a way to shorten the mileage that the radio pulls to scan from when adding your city? I don't want all of Atlanta.
Why cant it just pull Johns Creek, its not even listed?
That's one thing I can say is a huge difference than the Uniden product. It pulls the correct data. Then if its not correct, they don't abbreviate the names of cities and depts. so you know what you are pulling from the database.

I see Johns Creek in both the x36 Sentinel and Whistler's EZ Scan. On import, both load 6 conventional channels - which according to RRDB:

Fulton County, Georgia (GA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

are include several NXDN channels and 1 non-NXDN. Interestingly, the long and short names are completely different - that would be a RRDB admin issue.

If you can provide more information on what and how you are doing your imports, please advise... happy to help resolve.

genemalet

Looking in the database, Johns Creek is in Fulton county which has its own Phase 2 trunk system, so check there...

Fulton County Public Safety P25 Trunking System, Atlanta, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies

You might want to consider doing a little homework before you go complainin'...just a thought...

Now it would also help greatly if you would say WHICH Whistler scanner you have...Mike

First off Dude KA3JJZ, I am not complaining, asking a question. So first off before you say people are complaining read the post. Yes I forgot to put the type of Radio, its a TRX-1. I was merely asking a question. Why do some people that have worked with a product more than other people be so rood and call people complainers. That's complaining? Do a little home work into what I was asking. I have a suggestion, if you want to have answers like that then don't help people. Just because you have more experience with this scanner, does it make you more intelligent than me? To have responses like "do your homework" "Complaining" .....wow you must be smarter and more intelligent than me. Right? Ok bud. Email me.

This goes for the other person who answered my question Troymail, thank you for your response.

Last edited:

genemalet

I see Johns Creek in both the x36 Sentinel and Whistler's EZ Scan. On import, both load 6 conventional channels - which according to RRDB:

are include several NXDN channels and 1 non-NXDN. Interestingly, the long and short names are completely different - that would be a RRDB admin issue.

If you can provide more information on what and how you are doing your imports, please advise... happy to help resolve.

Thanks for your kind response. The issue I have is, on the TRX-1 when you set it up, it doesn't list Johns Creek as an option to set my local city. My Uniden does. Should have been clearer in my question. I do see Johns creek in the database on EZ Scan but when I try to program Johns Creek on the scanner. First it asks how do you want to set it up by city or zip code. I select city and Johns Creek is not an option. Wondering why they left it out as a search option since its a fairly big city. I used Alpharetta which is the nearest city but the darn scanner pulls all of Atlanta. How can I narrow it down so it will ONLY pick up Johns creek and load just Johns creek. I don't want all of Atlanta or All of Fulton county.
Thanks
Thanks

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks for your kind response. The issue I have is, on the TRX-1 when you set it up, it doesn't list Johns Creek as an option to set my local city. My Uniden does. Should have been clearer in my question. I do see Johns creek in the database on EZ Scan but when I try to program Johns Creek on the scanner. First it asks how do you want to set it up by city or zip code. I select city and Johns Creek is not an option. Wondering why they left it out as a search option since its a fairly big city. I used Alpharetta which is the nearest city but the darn scanner pulls all of Atlanta. How can I narrow it down so it will ONLY pick up Johns creek and load just Johns creek. I don't want all of Atlanta or All of Fulton county.
Thanks
Thanks

Location based imports is only one (actually several) option(s) for importing by zip code, city, county, etc.

If you have "Set Location" enabled (by default it is set to yes) on the lower right corner of the main "General Settings" tab, library imports will present several types/options:

Preferred
By City
By County
By Zip Code

If you select Preferred, you then have more control over what is selected to be imported and what scanlists those items are imported into.

For example:

I click on "Georgia" and then double-click on the Data Type "Counties/Cities".

Next, I select "Fulton" from the list of cities/counties and then double-click on Data Type "Systems"

I then select the "Fulton County Public Safety P25" system and then press the "Sites" button (lower right corner). Since there is only one site I just make sure it is selected and then press the "Talkgroups" button. Here, you can select only the group of talkgroups you want to import. So I use the "Clear All" button to deselect everything and then select just the line that says Johns Creek".

Then, press "Import Selected Items".

Play around with a configuration - see what you can do. You can't hurt anything. If something gets messed up, just delete it and start over. Like anything else, the more you use it, the easier it gets.

troymail

Silent Key
It now works flawlessly, all channels are coming through and only the town I needed. Thanks again.

Great to hear.

Keep playing with the software - I'm always finding different features and ways to program my radio. The best part is, unless you do tweaks or changes to the data from the library, you can't really hurt anything. You just delete it and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.