Issues with programming BCD436HP

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Sounds more like the 436 is suffering from simulcast distortion. The "dead zones" is a typical symptom when this is occurring. My old 436 did not do well with simulcast systems: it would work acceptably in some areas but be deaf only a short distance away. Putting "too much antenna" is actually the opposite of what you should do with this radio.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Sounds more like the 436 is suffering from simulcast distortion. The "dead zones" is a typical symptom when this is occurring. My old 436 did not do well with simulcast systems: it would work acceptably in some areas but be deaf only a short distance away. Putting "too much antenna" is actually the opposite of what you should do with this radio.
I agree simulcast is part of the problem, but the 436 performs relatively well on this system. I think his issue is probably sites. Depending where the OP is in Page, he may need to switch from the Page Site to Valley or vice-versa. A friend in Shenandoah has a Unication G4 that stays mainly on the Valley Site. I believe the farther north in Page, the Page site probably takes over coverage, but I don't know that for sure. With that being said, I have had my Unication pager lock onto the Page site when I was south of Elkton.

I don't have any issues obtaining the H/R & Page control channel with my 436. I would give the 436 an 8/10 for scanning this system. It does relatively well. The audio is a little overly-modulated and not 100% clear, due to simulcast. My 536 does have a little trouble obtaining the CC when mobile, but eventually gets it. It's not quite as clear as the 436. I have programmed the 352 and 996 for others, and they will totally miss some traffic with this system.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It all depends on site spacing and where the radio receiver is located- there are times when non-optimized receivers totally miss a call and the listener would never know it.