Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I read in the very beginning of SDS200 sales there was a hum issue with the radios and Uniden was mailing people a little copper board. I read Uniden was then installing those copper boards in the new radios being shipped out. I read that people who installed these boards have had the hum return. I read one user removed screws and scraped of green coating restoring a proper ground and has not, that I have seen, had the hum return.

I would think since I got mine close to a year ago, that it has this board wedged inside. It most be oxidizing as my 200 has developed a hum. @JoeBearcat How is Uniden handling units that come in today with the hum issue? Its coming in anyway because the volume control never really felt right from day one. It definitely does not feel the same as when turning the squelch knob where you feel each position. Really not wanting to deal with a fix that does not last more than a year. I am not positive mine has that board but can say when lightly squeezing the front of the scanner, the hum gets quieter.

Also @JoeBearcat , we spoke about audio type issue a while back.

Today I was doing a custom search and landed on a P25 control channel and link/data, as well as everything else was flashing erratically with popping/crackling noise. I took the same freq and entered it conventionally three times, each with one of the three audio types. Search/All, Analog and Digital. Look what the SDS200 does when a P25 freq is entered conventionally, with audio set to Digital and nac set to search.
Notice the popping and crackling? I really do not think it should sound like that.

Also notice while set to analog, it does play the cc sound as it should when landing on a cc in conventional mode, but look how long it takes the scanner to actually release audio. Around 2 seconds ?

Last edited:

Ubbe

It is a sound with a lot of noise and not a clean CC signal even when showing a strong signal strength. If you set one of the display fields to show D-Error it would probably show a a very bad decode quality with a lot of errors.

It's typical symptoms of interference from another frequency that probably can be solved by using IFX to the frequency or changing the filter to another setting.

/Ubbe

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
It is a sound with a lot of noise and not a clean CC signal even when showing a strong signal strength. If you set one of the display fields to show D-Error it would probably show a a very bad decode quality with a lot of errors.

Which sound? The popping/crackling noise I mentioned that starts 11 seconds in? The popping and crackling is heard with the volume at 0. I will get a new video reflecting that after dinner.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I am going to try the ifx. But unfortunately, this scanner needs to go get repaired while still under warranty. I hope they have something better for the hum fix then wedging a piece of copper in-between things. . If mine has it, it only made it 11 months.

Was really hoping @JoeBearcat would have read the first post and advise on how the hum is being fixed since what ever they did is not working. I would not be happy sending it in for that as well as the volume control to only have the hum return a year later.

I believe the popping and crackling has something to do with the hum issue or a poor ground. Here is another video and this one the popping is heard and sounds like an amp going on and off sporadically. It is heard with the volume off and is annoying. I also hear the popping when its scanning any fav list and stops for a transmission with the sound off. I played with the Set Audio Off Time but it does not seem to change anything.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I am going to try the ifx. But unfortunately, this scanner needs to go get repaired while still under warranty. I hope they have something better for the hum fix then wedging a piece of copper in-between things. . If mine has it, it only made it 11 months.

Was really hoping @JoeBearcat would have read the first post and advise on how the hum is being fixed since what ever they did is not working. I would not be happy sending it in for that as well as the volume control to only have the hum return a year later.

I believe the popping and crackling has something to do with the hum issue or a poor ground. Here is another video and this one the popping is heard and sounds like an amp going on and off sporadically. It is heard with the volume off and is annoying. I also hear the popping when its scanning any fav list and stops for a transmission with the sound off. I played with the Set Audio Off Time but it does not seem to change anything.

Hopefully you'll send it in before your warranty expires since I think you're hoping for a miracle answer here from a ghost. Send it in, let us know what/if anything was repaired and I wish you luck.

Ubbe

Check the specification in the manual. For the E model it says that Hum&Noise should be at least 33dB down from the audio. Refer to that, if it's in the US manual, when sending it in.

You still have heavy interferences on that 800MHz channel that needs to be dealt with when you get your scanner back. It jumps between -77dBm and -95dBm and the squelch set to 2 close even at -77dBm due to interference from other frequencies.

/Ubbe

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
For new production, the mask is removed from the screw areas. For repairs, a jumper is added. Either one fixes the issue, but I would recommend the former fix (the mask removal).

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
For new production, the mask is removed from the screw areas. For repairs, a jumper is added. Either one fixes the issue, but I would recommend the former fix (the mask removal).
Ok so with the repairs, are they removing the masking before adding the jumper, and eliminating the mitigation plate? Boxing it up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.