It appears like Milwaukee Police are now using OpenSky only...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Feed Provider
Hiya all...

It definately appears like Milw Police have cut the ties with several UHF channels and are operating entirely on the OpenSky Network. It seems like only the dispatch channels are completely silent.

I still hear occasional traffic on Channels 4 / 5 / 6 / 11 / 16.

Once in a while you may hear a squad come up on the main dispatch channels calling the dispatcher, but they get no response (Presumable because they are using analog radios and everyone else is digital).

I guess we better enjoy Milw Fire communications while we can.

Hope the officers are safe

Tim

mkescan

Hiya all...

It definately appears like Milw Police have cut the ties with several UHF channels and are operating entirely on the OpenSky Network. It seems like only the dispatch channels are completely silent.
Hope the officers are safe

Tim

I also hope officers are safe. I honestly won't miss MPD much. Like others, I care more about monitoring Milwaukee Fire.

ctadam12

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Mil fire is a pain to listen to. Field units sound garbled all the time, and you can't hear the original dispatch. Mpd should've stayed on uhf with a new p25 system!

CrabbyMilton

MFD isn't perfect but I always thought the signal comes in loud and clear. True, they don't dispatch over the air rather via computer landline but at least they do the "Card 300" so you know where they are going. Plus, Chicago fire comes in rather clear in the summer months even with a rubber duck. I think they are going to switch to a digital system at some point as well. Yes, MPD and MFD could have done much better in upgrading. The most cost effective way would have been just to leave it as it was with new equipment with existing freqs. or joining the Milwaukee County system provided they could have added the "open cloud" freqs to it. Oh well whats done is done but no need to throw out our scanners since there is alot of fun stuff to monitor.

JGP

All is not lost: Washington County's P25 system will be starting soon. That will more than make up for the loss of the MPD.

mkescan

One bad thing is not to many Milwaukee Cops would ever talk about the system in a public forum.
So we all might have to wait to until somebody in the media talks about it.

ltjweiss

yep and whenever we hear from the media they refer to the cop as an "anonymous source". its a shame that they cant voice their opinions or concerns in fear of actions from their "bosses". it sucks that they dont consider the safety of their fellow officers first, it infuriates me. it doesnt take a genius that their radios is one of the most important tool they carry.

ltjweiss

yes it is happening, i was pretty pissed to hear about the Lloyd R. Woodson incident, makes us scanner hobbyist look bad to the public. are those scanners put into the police auctions?

tencom

From Tencom

I told you this day was coming, February 02, 2010.. Technolgy always triumphs!

Last edited:

mkescan

Hey Tencom, all they did was take the patch down. Nobody is saying the system is working the way it's suppose to.

ctadam12

Yup, the system is still an $18 million dollar piece of garbage. Tax payers lost, officers lost, public safety in general lost...

mkescan

According to to Milwaukee Police PIO this was a planned "TEST"
I heard patch was taken down to see if OpenSky audio would be any better

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I told you this day was coming, February 02, 2010.. Technolgy always triumphs!

Are you serious Tencom ?

Honestly, I don't think this is any cause for celebration. Yay, let's celebrate the system being 6 years OVERDUE and now that it's "done" it's now outdated so let's plan the next one.

Smooth....real smooth Tencom

Matt - A REAL radio technician

Last edited:

tencom

Are you serious Tencom ?

Honestly, I don't think this is any cause for celebration. Yay, let's celebrate the system being 6 years OVERDUE and now that it's "done" it's now outdated so let's plan the next one.

Smooth....real smooth Tencom

Matt - A REAL radio technician

We could also celebrate the fact that it is not monitorable by tykes like you!

Tim

Feed Provider
We could also celebrate the fact that it is not monitorable by tykes like you!

Umm...."tykes" like him might not be able to listen, but neither do the many surrounding law enforcement agencies (Greenfield, MCSO, North Shore agencies, etc). Many of those burbs use to listen in to Milwaukee to catch description of incidents that occur near their borders. The above quote kinda sounds like a anti-interoperability to me. Just my 2 cents.

Tim

SCPD

QRT
I thought that tencom benefited by cloudy-sky. He sounds a lot like the MPD officer that posted on twitter toward mkescan.
They may be the same person.
Anyways it is a poor decision on Milwaukee to select this system in the first place. It will be nice to see the what happens when MPD is involved in a pursuit and the officers leave the city limits.
Milwaukee will have fun being on an island like Watertown FD at the tire fire a couple years ago.
Nice job Milwaukee.

mkescan

Whats interesting the last 2 days now is, I have been hearing a lot more squad to squad on MPD 460.150 & 460.500 more then when patch was up on the Primary dispatch channels.
One squad gave a reason why they are using 460.150, but my TV was too loud and the only part I caught was something about handhelds. Also sometimes while talking on 460.150 the audio will sometimes get louder.

That MPD PIO is actually just a former reporter from WISN TV, from the emails I got it sounds like nobody likes her much. She might be Tencom's daughter :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.