SDS100/SDS200: It died again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Brand new SDS 100? Sending it back to the seller?
NO. I got the 1st one from HRO. It died in less than a week. I sent it back to them and they sent me another one. The 2nd one lasted less than 2 weeks before showing the cold solder joint problem. After talking to HRO the said that it was outside of their 10 return policy, and said that I had to take the issue up with Uniden!!! I know, bad business!! Anyway, after much debate on this forum and talking to others that had horror stories about Uniden service, I decided to send it to @jonwienke for repair. Hea had it for about a month. I communicated with him several times and he had some "personal" problems he was dealing with at the time as well. After much work on his part, he advised me that the radio had developed "other" issues as well as the cold solder joint. So he sent it back to me. It was even "deader" now. I sent it to Uniden and crossed my fingers. At this point, I had paid $700 for a scanner plus $50 for the NXDN upgrade and $60 for the DMR upgrade. Or vice versa. Don't really remember. I paid another $700 for HRO to ship me the 2nd one before getting the first dead one back. (They refunded the second $700 after they received the 1st dead one back. So when Uniden got my scanner they said that the warranty was voided do to "Tampering" from sending it to @jonwienke . So.....I said fix it anyway, I just want a working radio for the amount of money that I had "invested"! So Uniden charged me $80 to do the Non-Warranty repair. I got it back about a month or so later. The "Uniden Repaired" scanner lasted 4 days and "DIED"!! I called Uniden repair and the lady asked the repair technician what I need to do.? He told her to advise me that I need to send it back to them.....again!!. So, I did. They had it for about another month and after my consistent, daily phone calls and emails my scanner was returned to my possession. The repair ticket said the "control board" was replaced. I have now had it back for a month or 2 and it has worked fine! ..................................SO FAR!!!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The radio had something wrong with the receiver in addition to solder joint issues. It sounds like they ended up replacing the entire main circuit board. @JoeBearcat this would be another good case for you to look into.

NoseeNeighbor

Premium Subscriber
Yikes! I just got mine yesterday and so far its doing well. I did opt for an extended warranty thru bearcatwarehouse so I am hoping that if I do have any issues I am covered.
Was this a 2020 thing? I think we can all agree that 2020 sucked...hoping a 2021 model will be better?
Maybe I should hang onto my 436hp for a bit rather than just listing it on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.